Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Underappreciated Videogames  (Read 24764 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #135 on: August 25, 2007, 09:48:55 am »

Can anyone give me an idea of how long Bioshock is? I just got past the submarine and I'm worried that things seem to be buiding to a head a bit quickly.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

gloomba

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 63
  • One stomp and he dies . . . . 100 PTS.
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #136 on: August 25, 2007, 01:28:12 pm »

I saw some dude commenting on a blog complaining that he finished it in six hours, but that was followed by a ton of other people saying there's no way he beat it in six hours.  What I take away from this is that it probably actually takes longer than six hours, but that your fears of things building to a head a bit quickly may be well-founded.

Of course this is all hearsay, as I haven't played it.
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #137 on: August 25, 2007, 03:16:11 pm »

From what I understand, Bioshock is about 20 hours on average. That's great for an FPS, but considering there's no multiplayer, it makes sense.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #138 on: August 25, 2007, 05:49:13 pm »

Well, it took me about eight hours to get to the submarine, but I'm not playing it in any hurry to beat it, you know?

I like to take my time, explore, and I still haven't figured out a way to beat the Big Daddies without dying a bunch of times and just getting my three or four shots in each life before being revitalized again.

Great game, and I'm getting used to the controller, although resource management (i.e. the game giving me fuck*ng chores to do] is a pain in the ass.  I want friggin' ammo a' plenty.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #139 on: August 25, 2007, 06:07:32 pm »

Are you playing on medium difficulty? I'd imagine there would be more ammo on easy, but since the bad guys go down much quicker, it's not like you get to use all of it.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #140 on: August 26, 2007, 09:58:15 am »

still haven't figured out a way to beat the Big Daddies without dying a bunch of times and just getting my three or four shots in each life before being revitalized again.

Zap em then machine gun fire to the head at a distance for a while, anti-armour if you've got it. Electric shotgun shells work nicely too.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #141 on: October 22, 2007, 10:33:35 pm »

Sorry to float this bloated corpse of a thread back to the surface, but I hear Tim Schafer's and Double Fine are working on a new game and I just have to tell someone. Apparently it's called Brütal Legend (note decorative umlauts) and Jack Black is attached to the project somehow. From what I can tell it's mostly about heavy metal and killing demons, though I'm sure we can expect a certain amount of wit and humor as well.

Links:
Wikipedia article
Trailer

Also, does anyone have Team Fortress 2 on PC? I'm not very much into online multi-player shootin', but I got TF2 as part of the Orange Box and have heard good things about it so I would like to try it out with people who are probably not jerks.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #142 on: October 23, 2007, 06:51:18 am »

Double Fine has the best news page in the history of game company news pages.  Seriously, read the archives even if you don't care about Psychonauts.  You should care, of course, but just in case you don't, you can still read the news.  Which is funny and good.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #143 on: October 23, 2007, 08:20:49 am »

Wow, Hivemind. My housemate just got psychonaughts at my urging and I decided to look up double fine to see if they were making anything new just last night. I hadn't seen the trailer though.

I have TF2 but since I'm down under the lag might make things unpleasant. My experiences have been pretty good so far, the classes are so distinct that everyone knows what they have to do and pretty much does it. My steam username is Decarabas though if you want to add me.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #144 on: October 23, 2007, 09:53:16 am »

My steam username is Decarabas though if you want to add me.

I did a SteamID search on this name but came up with nothing. Maybe this is your username for logging in? SteamIDs are separate from your login details now, I think, which is probably good because my Steam username is kind of embarassing.

My SteamID is nded03, by the way, but you'll probably encounter my brother is using the account because my laptop can't play any games newer than the original Half-Life.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #145 on: October 23, 2007, 11:52:08 am »

I have a steamID now under Decarabas but I wasn't able to find you. Can exchange e-mails in pm if you like since you can search that way too.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up