Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That you can post photos to the TOUAMB Flickr Pool?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: This guy just says whatever he wants  (Read 11499 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: This guy just says whatever he wants
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2007, 01:03:50 am »

yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

"I won't mention my opponent's personal life. I just don't think that's appropriate."
*all of america rushes to google to look for the dirt*
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: This guy just says whatever he wants
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2007, 02:31:01 am »

For what it's worth, I've never doubted that you were sincere, A-CAP, and therefore not a troll.

I'm glad you're here.  We don't agree on much, but it would be pretty fuck*ng boring if we didn't have anything to argue about.  Plus, I get to marvel at how totally fuck*ng wrong you are.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: This guy just says whatever he wants
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2007, 05:16:56 am »

My definition of trolling doesn't just mean... people who are only in a place to troll, it also encompasses people who are productive members of a community most of the time but... occasionally and on certain subjects... take contrary positions, maintain contrary positions and refuse to budge even a little, just to rile people up and stir up trouble.

Mr. Ennewhy isn't doing that... 80-85% of the time.

But there are times wherein it seems like he takes a position just to "rile up the lefties" and then nail it home over... and over... and over... never conceding even the most obvious points (i.e. hard sciences like genetics and soft pseudo-sciences like cultural anthropology having nothing to do with each other)... just to get peoples' danders up.

In my internet handbook, you can be a part-time troll when it tickles your fancy to be... and then, when your fancy don't need tickling, be a normal and healthy part of the discussion... and in fact, that can enhance the effectiveness of the trolling when you do it.

Like as if to say "Aw man, he can't be trolling, here's three conversations about music a week ago where he was just talkin' with folk"... creating a complication that protects one from being immediately accused of fightin' just to fight.

I had no idea that A-CAP was so shrewd.  Even when he is being a good border it's part of his greater scheme to troll. 

A-CAP, that is awesome and deserves a can.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: This guy just says whatever he wants
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2007, 05:01:08 pm »

... creating a complication that protects one from being immediately accused of fightin' just to fight.

You're saying that like its a bad thing.  Maybe that's my Irish heritage though.  I always get confused when someone stands up, asks for a fight, loses, and then avoids the victor.  If you're going to be a bad sport about it, don't pick the fight in the first place.

:)

Note that the "you" in my above construction shouldn't be interpreted as LFM.  I'm just sayin'.

Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: This guy just says whatever he wants
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2007, 12:45:36 am »

wait, so, if you lose a fight, you hang out with the victor a lot? dang. That is some counterintuitive shit right there.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: This guy just says whatever he wants
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2007, 03:26:17 am »

wait, so, if you lose a fight, you hang out with the victor a lot? dang. That is some counterintuitive shit right there.

If its a recreational fight, sure.  Those rarely happen to 38 year old professionals though.  Except on intarweb message boards.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: This guy just says whatever he wants
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2007, 01:08:34 pm »

Heh.  Reminds me of highschool.  This girl I didn't know just started coming up to me and saying things like "I hate you" "I'm going to beat you up after class"  "I'm going to kill you."  It seemed so odd and random since I hadn't even spoken to her until she started coming up to me a threatening me.  I just sort of chuckled and mostly just ignored her threats.  She did eventually beat up one of my acquaintances after school.  Then one day she wanted to be my partner on some class project that we had to work on at home.  I mean she really wanted to be my partner.  So I was her partner, but I was really worried.  I went over to her house expecting her to beat me up, but she was really overly nice to the point of fakeness and continued to be that way until she changed schools.  I was always feeling like it was ruse.  Like one day, when I finally let my guard down - BLAM!  It's very counter intuitive to spend time with someone who is want to do you harm.  Looking back now, I think maybe she felt guilty because that one acquaintance of mine she did beat up ended up turning suicidal and had to be institutionalized.  So maybe she was trying to make amends with me to alleviate some of her guilt?  Odd.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Sideshow's story
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2007, 01:47:57 pm »

... Looking back now, I think maybe she felt guilty because that one acquaintance of mine she did beat up ended up turning suicidal and had to be institutionalized.  So maybe she was trying to make amends with me to alleviate some of her guilt?  Odd.

Yikes. Though it sounds like they institutionalized the wrong lady
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: This guy just says whatever he wants
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2007, 10:00:22 am »

speaking of people who apparently can say anything they want:
I for some reason suddenly thought of when... my anthro professor told us that there's a Culture War going on in this country, and that he considers it his Duty to Arm us as Soldiers in the Culture War.
I am pretty sure that when people on the anti-evolution side say things like that, I vomit a little.

also, it seemed pretty crass when 3 days later he announced he was stepping down as Head of the Anthro department, and becoming Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.

I also really enjoyed "I find it... it's fascinating that Ann Coulter's new book has a chapter about Evolution. I didn't realize she was trained as an anthropologist. I'm sure she had a lot of interesting scientific points to make based on her research, but I will never know, because I will not be reading it."
it's weird because... he is a pretty professional guy. Except when he does things like... imitate how a gorilla walks, or make a joke about how often Bonobos have lesbian sex.

So, yeah, I have crushes on multiple of my male professors.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 10:09:06 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: This guy just says whatever he wants
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2007, 05:00:58 pm »

I am pretty sure the Bill O'Reilly talks about the culture wars all the time. I think he even has a book about it.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: This guy just says whatever he wants
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2007, 05:11:33 pm »

On the topic of Ayn Coulter, man, I hate to steal a line from "The Shawshank Redemption" but...

I believe that to be an anthropologist, one must first be human.

I ain't the type to fight a pre-emptive war... but if the motherfuckers bring the Culture War to my porch, I'm sure as fuck ready to fight back. The good guys don't fight proactively, that's part of what makes them good guys, but motherfuckers, if it's about direct self-defense, man, I'm ready for the Culture War.

Wars of words and wars of bombs, if you start the fight, you're pretty much always the bad guy. It's an important rule.

But just cuz you will do everything to avoid a fight humanly possible, it don't mean that you can't fight.

It just means that you're principled. It just means that you're the good guy.

Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: This guy just says whatever he wants
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2007, 06:26:00 pm »

On the topic of Ayn Coulter, man, I hate to steal a line from "The Shawshank Redemption" but...
Ann Coulter - like And Without the d.  Ayn Rand. Like Line without the L.
They have different names and dramatically different philosophies.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: This guy just says whatever he wants
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2007, 06:36:53 pm »

I know the difference, I just like spelling them the same way.

Bitter scrawny sexless shills, both, spoutin' out stuff you know they couldn't actually believe because it turns 'em a dime.

Rush Limbaugh with smaller titties. PT Barnum with a dried-out lifeless vajayjay.

Ain't nothin' wrong with making your money as a "bad guy" entertainer but... man... you gotta wink occasionally or I'm gonna assume you're just crazy. Ric Flair had the good sense to wink when he was a heel and so you deep-down liked him more than the good guy wrestler that you knew you were "supposed" to root for.

Even Andy Kaufman winked, it's just you had to be real fast to catch it.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: This guy just says whatever he wants
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2007, 06:43:02 pm »

I know the difference, I just like spelling them the same way.

Bitter scrawny sexless shills, both, spoutin' out stuff you know they couldn't actually believe because it turns 'em a dime.

Rush Limbaugh with smaller titties. PT Barnum with a dried-out lifeless vajayjay.

Ain't nothin' wrong with making your money as a "bad guy" entertainer but... man... you gotta wink occasionally or I'm gonna assume you're just crazy. Ric Flair had the good sense to wink when he was a heel and so you deep-down liked him more than the good guy wrestler that you knew you were "supposed" to root for.

Even Andy Kaufman winked, it's just you had to be real fast to catch it.
Wow. That was really mature and insightful. I just wish I understood how someone could say something like that in the same thread he accused me of being a troll for saying things to purposefully rile people up. Surely that wasn't at all what you were trying to do when you called someone important to me a... "sexless shill" with a "dried out lifeless vajayjay? No, certainly you weren't doing that to rile me up. Ass.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: This guy just says whatever he wants
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2007, 07:02:28 pm »

Ah, I was riffing, actually.

But I'll admit that's hard to distinguish from taking a shot at you, without the context at intonation, you're right.

Mea maxima culpa.

You get a potshot at Kurt Vonnegut when I least expect it, definitely.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up