Man, I hate to do this -- it's not nearly roguish enough -- but I'm actually going to try and answer the fellow's question. (if someone already wrote this, sorry I missed it.)
WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH THE NEXT BOOK(s)?... They only go through Dec 2005 and there's been a ton of great arcs since then.... Is there any word on what the book situation is? Help out a fellow with some talk of hope and it would be a thing.
According to The Onion AV Club's
interview with Onstad:
ONSTAD: I am actually working on a book... I've got all this content I'm talking about with kind of a major publisher. You know the "Great Outdoor Fight" story arc? I'm putting together… not quite a graphic novel, but I'm laying it all out as a linear story and adding new content and a ton of writing and background on what The Great Outdoor Fight is, and I'm hoping to publish that as some sort of perfect-bound, color-cover, proper edition. I'm just finishing the writing up for that. I think that will go over really well. Critically, I think, that was our finest hour. It really had a good response from people, which surprised me, because it was the first time I've really asked the audience to have patience, because they weren't one-offs every day or gag strips every day. It was a three-month narrative that really paid off, and I was really pleased, because I was afraid to do it at first.
And in
this interview, he ups the ante by adding that there's a Hollywood deal in the offing, as well:
I would certainly like to see myself branching out into other media with this particular project and also with other projects. Today I was working on a screenplay. You know, where Ray and Roast Beef went down and fought in the Great Outdoor Fight. We've got a couple studios interested in the script, so we're trying to finish that up and get it sold.
Putting it all together, the holdup seems pretty obvious:
"The Great Outdoor Fight" -- hell, that whole year of the strip -- was such a huge hit that Onstad got some Hollywood and publishing attention. From the sound of things, he probably got a major publishing deal to re-release the entire comic series in some sort of deluxe edition you'll be able to buy at Barnes & Noble and Borders. I'm guessing the first release will be the "Great Outdoor Fight" arc, which will then be tied to the Hollywood deal, as comics-to-movie adaptations are still vaguely hot. All of this will probably be announced in the next six months or so.
However, it's probably taking forever for Onstad to set it all up, with his lawyer working to make sure he retains copyright and the WGA writer's strike and all that crap -- and that's why all the micro-content (like the 'zines) has been released, in an attempt to fill the void while something really big and nationally multi-platformed gets set up.
Of course, you could also e-mail Onstad and ask. But that's my theory.