Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bruce Springsteen and Arcade Fire  (Read 2618 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Bruce Springsteen and Arcade Fire
« on: December 13, 2007, 06:26:42 am »

So, I loves me some Arcade Fire and Bruce.  When Arcade Fires latest came out, I told my friend who hated Bruce that he would have to choose between hating Bruce or liking Arcade Fire, because their album is basically a progression of his mid-early work.  He didn't believe me.

When my dad told me Arcade Fire was playing on ACL (the TV show, not festival) because he is just hip enough to know they are a good band, I told him to watch and see how they are very similar to Bruce (no one should ever be mentioned in the same sentence as Bruce Springsteen or J.F.K. in my dads opinion).  He didn't believe me either.

Spin's cover this month is an interview with Win Butler and Bruce Springsteen, and, in my search to get it for free, I ran across these two bad ass videos of the two (plus Regine) performing together:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug2AsESk_-w&eurl=http://blog.news-record.com/staff/culture/2007/11/springsteenarcade_fire_frontma.shtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4Zkz2pUt_g&eurl=http://blog.news-record.com/staff/culture/2007/11/springsteenarcade_fire_frontma.shtml


Thought someone might like it?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 09:14:12 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Bruce Springsteen and Arcade Fire
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 09:01:32 am »

I do not get the Arcade Fire, and I do not like Bruce Springsteen. A girl I know's sister is engaged to an Arcade Fire member, though.

to clarify, the difference between "not getting" and "not liking" is that I feel like the Arcade Fire sound like a lot of other bands I like, and I've never listened to them very closely. I don't get what makes them so great. Bruce Springsteen... I know his sound, I get it, it isn't my thing.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 09:14:58 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Bruce Springsteen and Arcade Fire
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 11:03:20 am »

I do not get the Arcade Fire,
despite
Arcade Fire sound like a lot of other bands I like

I agree with this completely.

I think it's because like... the songs have good little parts, but in every song short phrases repeat very incessantly.  I don't want to be hatin' or come off real pretentious, but basically the songs were just not complex enough to keep my interest.



Maybe I heard the wrong material?  I put the newest album (Neon Bible, I think) on my music player and listened through like four tracks and just deleted it all off due to boredom.  I wanted to like them because many people I know love them, and decent musicians I know mentioned them as major influences.
Logged
ACHIEVE

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Bruce Springsteen and Arcade Fire
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 11:46:02 am »

See, I like that part.

I think it's because like... the songs have good little parts, but in every song short phrases repeat very incessantly. 
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Bruce Springsteen and Arcade Fire
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 02:43:58 am »

I really enjoy the Arcade Fire, and I don't mind The Boss. Those links were hell of interesting!
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Bruce Springsteen and Arcade Fire
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 03:15:15 am »

I conclude from this thread and the video that Arcade Fire is like Bruce Springsteen except with a girl playing the accordion in it. I am having a hard time getting my mind around this concept.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Bruce Springsteen and Arcade Fire
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 03:57:43 am »

Honestly, The Boss on his game is better, but Arcade Fire has hell of potential and use their sound in a similar way.  Also, when watching those links I realized that they kind of sound the same. (Bruce and Win's voices I mean)
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Bruce Springsteen and Arcade Fire
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 03:59:17 am »

Hm.

Actually, Judy Tenuda playing Springsteen's music sounds a good bit more palatable than the real thing.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Bruce Springsteen and Arcade Fire
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 04:04:02 am »

maybe this explains why I don't get into them that much. hm.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Bruce Springsteen and Arcade Fire
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 07:35:43 pm »

Now see, if you were talking about a modern band that's a follow-on from Springsteen's early work but didn't name them, I'd be sure you were talking about The Hold Steady.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: [1]   Go Up