Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Emigrating  (Read 14096 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Emigrating
« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2007, 02:31:59 am »

I'm glad you said that.  Our So Cal contingent is a touchy bunch.

No kidding.  Must be something in the water.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Emigrating
« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2007, 04:08:40 am »

What about the Nor Cal contingency? Who else is there besides me? We dirty San Francisco hippies could take LFM and his coked up Hollywood stars any day!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Emigrating
« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2007, 04:20:03 am »

which reminds me, LFM, you should hang out with my friend who works for Satan (Creative Artists Agency). She is hot, lives in LA, and great. You guys would probably not like each other at all.

I like that I know someone who works for what is apparently a truly Evil organization. She has hell of situations involving, you know, older creepy celebrities smarmily hitting on her in elevators. She is blond and pretty, but, you know, in a way which probably counts as "down to earth" for LA.

Sorry, um, you are just the only two people I know in LA. Other than my aunt/uncle/cousins.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Emigrating
« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2007, 04:26:23 am »

As I have a girlfriend, I am not allowed to like hot ladies, so it all works out.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Emigrating
« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2007, 03:01:32 pm »

That's good, because I've recently started doing yoga and I have no desire to move to Southern California.  Not that there's anything wrong with Southern Cal.  I just like it here.

Yoga is awesome.  You can do it anywhere in the country.  Even hick states like North Carolina -- as long as you're in a moderate-sized city and don't mind sharing a class with the occasional big-haired, buxom yogini in too-tight spandex. 

I'm once again considering getting certified to teach yoga.  I actually talked to my yoga teacher about it last week.  The yoga studio I attend has a respected teacher-training program -- and there is a distinct possibility that I could do it on a part-time basis.  I want to teach yoga to special-needs kids, and my yoga teacher actually taught a movement class to a group of autistic middle-schoolers last year.  It was part of a contract with the public school system.  (She also has an MA in Dance, so technically it was a dance class but she used lots of yoga too.)  She says there's no special certification but you could cobble together the required information from a series of weekend workshops, and she'd be thrilled to help me.  I'd have to start out teaching regular classes to get my bearings before I started doing something so specialized, but it's possible that I could have my certification and be teaching half-time by the time Hero goes to preschool. 

But the problem with this plan is that it doesn't have any relationship to the thing I have spent the last six years studying, which is history, and I would sort of like to keep my foot in the door in that respect so that I can resume my career as an historian once the kids are older.  There are a couple of ways to do this, one of which is to continue researching and writing on my own and submitting short papers to peer-reviewed journals for publication.  If I can get half a dozen articles published over the next ten years it will at least prove that I have worked to keep my skills current even though I've not been officially working in the field, and I might actually be able to get a job.  The other thing I could do is apply to teach an evening class at the local technical college.  Most require a Master's but no teaching experience.  Both these thingswould help me get into a PhD program later if I decide that's what I want to do, but which one I choose now will determine what my options are aferwards.  Also, I don't know if I want to get my PhD or if I want to go in a different direction entirely. 

The last option is to just do nothing for five years or so and then get involved in local politics, work my way up, and hopefully end up doing some state-level lobbying job for an organization I believe in.  Which wouldn't be bad either, but it's not exactly a lifelong dream.  The most appealing thing about this option is that it doesn't require anything of me any time soon.  I am so burned out on school that the idea of ever doing anything school related again, ever, is sort of a turnoff. 

So, I guess this is my way of saying that linnea and V aren't the only people with identity crises around here.  You would think once you've got a husband and 1 1/2 kids you don't have to make these kinds of tough decisions, but really, the spouse and kids only serve to further complicate things in the long run. 

Speaking of which, one of my complications is trying to sit on my lap while I type this, so I need to move my laptop.  I don't have enough lap left to accommodate both any more! 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Emigrating
« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2007, 05:37:59 pm »

Yoga is awesome.  You can do it anywhere in the country.  Even hick states like North Carolina -- as long as you're in a moderate-sized city and don't mind sharing a class with the occasional big-haired, buxom yogini in too-tight spandex. 

Apparently a small rural/bedroom community is OK too.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Emigrating
« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2007, 12:31:37 am »

What about the Nor Cal contingency? Who else is there besides me? We dirty San Francisco hippies could take LFM and his coked up Hollywood stars any day!
Me for one.  I lured my wife to the North following college days.  Her family followed too.  They brought LA's traffic with them to Sacramento, where they live now.  I live in Little Kabul, near the Bay.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Emigrating
« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2007, 12:39:27 am »

Me for one.  I lured my wife to the North following college days.  Her family followed too.  They brought LA's traffic with them to Sacramento, where they live now.  I live in Little Kabul, near the Bay.

Did you guys know that over 90% of the nation's LSD is made in 6 major labs in Northern California?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Emigrating
« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2007, 12:50:58 am »

I always get surprised when I hear that LSD still exists. It's not something I think about. Until 2 friends IM me within a week telling me about using it?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Emigrating
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2007, 01:00:40 am »

It probably doesn't take much.  A little LSD goes a long way.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Emigrating
« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2007, 01:22:09 am »

Our So Cal contingent is a touchy bunch.

What the fuck do you mean by that, Paul?!?  Huh?  Hey!  I'm talking to you!!!

[whispering] JL? Do the yoga.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Emigrating
« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2007, 06:45:50 am »

What about the Nor Cal contingency? Who else is there besides me?
Oh!  Now I remember.  Bjorn is in NorCal too.  He hasn't been around recently.  Perhaps seduced by the ease of assbar.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Emigrating
« Reply #102 on: December 17, 2007, 04:20:57 am »

Perhaps seduced by the ease of assbar.

Perish the thought!
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up