Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Achewood High Roller Program  (Read 2630 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pubdoggy

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 89
  • R. Smuckles publicity shot c. 2002
    • View Profile
    • Simon Whitehead Photography
The Achewood High Roller Program
« on: March 07, 2008, 01:51:55 pm »

Hi y'all.

Look:

http://www.achewood.com/shop/patrons.php

Thoughts?

What, me? Yeah - I'm donating.

All the best.
Logged
Satori must be something just the same...

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: The Achewood High Roller Program
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 02:11:56 pm »

My first thought was "I'm glad the top-level starts at $101 and not much, much higher because then I'd be forced to pay more for all the good stuff."

Yes, I'm coughing up at least $101.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Achewood High Roller Program
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 02:32:36 pm »

I think there's a little false advertising in the list of things that Achewood provides:

Quote
The AssetBar commenting system, The User Community Which Filters Out Morons™

I am idiotically tempted by the opportunity to be titled "Knucklehead since small times." But why do I have to tell Ray what year I was born to get a birthday card?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The Achewood High Roller Program
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 02:51:25 pm »

"Nearly 1,400 double-length, multiple-award winning comics of indescribable lyrical beauty"

False humility is not one of the 'Stad's sins, know what I'm saying? I'm not saying he's wrong mind you...

Not sure what to make of this, I'll consider it next time I got some cash floating around, certainly be worth it to get the subscriber content and feeling of total elitism.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Achewood High Roller Program
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 02:59:00 pm »

Ray has already called me a knucklehead since small times in one of the books. VI, I think. Does that mean I get promoted to that status for free?

Also, I wish I'd seen this before I already shelled out for VIII personalized. Maybe I could get a strip instead.
Logged

Formica

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 205
    • View Profile
Re: The Achewood High Roller Program
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 05:17:13 pm »

Baby needs a new pair of orthopedic shoes time, eh?

"and to support our growing family" = I would guess they have another child on the way.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: The Achewood High Roller Program
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 11:11:18 pm »

I think there's a little false advertising in the list of things that Achewood provides

Yeah, the AssBar thing made me laugh. Also:

Quote
Twelve regularly-udpated [sic] blogs, with over 1,000 archived entries

As of 7 March:

Ray: January 16, 2008
Beef: February 6, 2008
Pat: November 8, 2007
Teodor: February 13, 2008
Philippe: March 5, 2008
Mr. Bear: February 20, 2008
Lyle: February 20, 2008
Molly: February 19, 2008
Chris: March 4, 2008
Nice Pete: January 2, 2008
Little Nephew: December 4, 2007
Emeril: May 12, 2006

More like seven fairly-updated blogs and five that Onstad has forgotten the passwords for. And one of those for a character Onstad forgot he created.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 11:14:24 pm by Golfhaus »
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: The Achewood High Roller Program
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 02:50:10 am »

Hmmm. Time to think about this.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Achewood High Roller Program
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 03:18:11 am »

"and to support our growing family" = I would guess they have another child on the way.


Or another puppy?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The Achewood High Roller Program
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 05:18:15 pm »

More like seven fairly-updated blogs and five that Onstad has forgotten the passwords for. And one of those for a character Onstad forgot he created.

He's trying to create a sense of realism. 

Says the lady whose personal blog hasn't been updated since 2005. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: The Achewood High Roller Program
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 06:40:09 pm »

I think he is realizing he will encounter obstacles trying to send a kid to college and support a family into retirement for the indefinite future by drawing cats on the internet. Whatever the motivation it seems to be working. When I checked last night there were no donors in the lowest bracket and 12 in the highest bracket ($100+).
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up