Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Trains are saying "hello".  All this time, we just snub them.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: bio-filtered zinfandel  (Read 5558 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: bio-filtered zinfandel
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 12:38:51 am »

Probably, look up 'bioreactor'. It's a more common technique than you might think.

In fact the wiki page has an image of a "Bioreactor for cellulosic ethanol research".

Oh, I know all about bioreactors. Did you know there is a device about the size of a refrigerator, costs under 3k, and it will make ethanol from any alcohol or straight up from sugar and yeast or whatever? It's a self contained unit with a pump and all. It is a bioreactor.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: bio-filtered zinfandel
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 01:27:02 am »

Ok, so i was off on the metrics, but here it is: http://www.physorg.com/news129557670.html
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: bio-filtered zinfandel
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 01:27:17 am »

Oh, I know all about bioreactors. Did you know there is a device about the size of a refrigerator, costs under 3k, and it will make ethanol from any alcohol or straight up from sugar and yeast or whatever? It's a self contained unit with a pump and all. It is a bioreactor.

Oh look at mr. Fancy ******, we do all our bioreacting in buckets around here I'll have you know.
Good solid wooden buckets, just like grandpa used to bioreact in.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: bio-filtered zinfandel
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 01:30:21 am »

Ok, so i was off on the metrics, but here it is: http://www.physorg.com/news129557670.html


I'm kind of surprised that doesn't violate any liquour laws. I mean that's a very expensive still right there.

I get what you meant by a pump now though, I didn't realise you meant it was hooked up to act as a petrol pump. I was trying to figure out why a still would need to be under pressure.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: bio-filtered zinfandel
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 01:32:43 am »

Ok, so i was off on the metrics, but here it is: http://www.physorg.com/news129557670.html


I really want one now. I wonder how it gets around distilling prohibitions or homebrew limitations (200 gallons/year). Perhaps the alcohol is denatured in some way.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: bio-filtered zinfandel
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 01:33:39 am »

I'm kind of surprised that doesn't violate any liquour laws. I mean that's a very expensive still right there.

I get what you meant by a pump now though, I didn't realise you meant it was hooked up to act as a petrol pump. I was trying to figure out why a still would need to be under pressure.

I bet the loophole is that the alcohol is denatured somehow.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: bio-filtered zinfandel
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 01:36:15 am »

To brew ethanol at home, property owners in the US must obtain permits from the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau. Currently, however, itīs illegal in the US to run a conventional vehicle on 100% ethanol - but E-Fuel is hoping that regulators will certify all-ethanol cars if their system becomes popular.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: bio-filtered zinfandel
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 03:38:10 am »

10k on something that might be useful if government regulations change is a bit of a hard sell.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: bio-filtered zinfandel
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 01:07:22 pm »

See also: Human League Intestine

fixed
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: bio-filtered zinfandel
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 04:42:19 pm »

True enough - all that group ever did was make hot gas and noises.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: bio-filtered zinfandel
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2008, 01:31:07 am »

there are hell of busted up old stills around here. One had the ax still lodged in the side of it from when the revenuers busted it up.

we also found one that had plastic handle on one part of it. So... some of these stills are not as old as you would think.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up