Actually, I decided waaaay back that the investment of getting enough grow lights and dedicated indoor space was too much, and now I start my seeds indoors but move them to the back deck as soon as it's warm enough. Paul saw my garden when he was here -- and tasted the results.

You can grow most vegetables in containers, which eliminates the need for weeding. But if you've already got a dedicated plot, it makes more sense to use that. Planting is easy, like AW said, though -- get a good book on the topic from the library and make sure to pick varieties that are labeled "easy to grow" and are well-suited to your zone. If you go to Burpee.com and put in your zip code, then choose a vegetable, scroll down to where you see some tabs, click "growing info" and it will tell you exactly when to plant, when to expect harvest, and how to sow and grow that plant. It's really useful in the planning stages.
There are apps that help you plan your garden -- Gardening Toolkit is my favorite -- but a notebook and a pencil can't be beat.
If seeds scare you, you can always get seedlings and transplant them. It's a little more expensive but in my experience it's easier to get good yields from a plant that's been pampered by a nursery. You can also go to a locally-owned nursery and tell someone there, "Hey, I'm new to gardening but I really want to grow some veggies, what's easy to grow around here, and how do I care for it?" Gardeners are thrilled to share their craft with newbies. Just don't go on a Saturday or Sunday if you have a lot of questions -- stop by during the week when business is slow. Thank them by buying a few potted herbs or some supplies -- local nurseries lose a lot of business to big-box home improvement stores this time of year.
I'd recommend planting things you like and want to eat, but if you're salad people I'd recommend a looseleaf lettuce over a head-type lettuce. You can snip off exactly what you need as you need it and it will grow back, instead of harvesting the whole head at a time. Lettuce is super easy to grow but it has shallow roots so you have to grow it from seed, and it's a cool-weather crop so you'll have to have it in the ground before the last frost for the best yield.
Other stuff that's easy: Carrots, tomatoes, green onions, radishes, peppers. Some people say beans and peas are easy but I have had a hard time with them. (I think I planted too early in the fall & the heat stifled them.) Most herbs are easy too, but I'd seriously recommend containers for those, even if you have the ground space -- many of them tend to creep & will take over. Any kind of greens are low-maintenance, including spinach & kale, provided you plant them in the fall or early spring when it's not too hot. And most of these things (other than the greens) freeze well for use all winter long.
In related news, I started my mushroom spawn yesterday. So excited!