Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: John Updike is dead!  (Read 2024 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
John Updike is dead!
« on: January 28, 2009, 12:23:34 am »

I don't think I've ever read one of his books, though I read "A&P" in school just like every other high school student. Still, I chose him from a list more or less at random to do a report on in 11th grade English. I was proud of the B+ I got on my report on an author I'd never read or even heard of.

It seems from all accounts I'd probably enjoy his stories. Maybe I'll get around to it.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: John Updike is dead!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 02:14:47 am »

The Rabbit books are classic and are certainly worth your time.  Updike could write a hell of a sentence.  RIP

Now we'll never read the rest of Krusty's autobiography.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: John Updike is dead!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 02:22:23 am »

Huh.  I had him penciled under the "already dead" column.

No, wait.  That was Frederick Forsyth.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: John Updike is dead!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 03:50:04 am »

I like his work a lot.

I removed him from my Favorite Books section on facebook... probably 3 days ago.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: John Updike is dead!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 04:05:37 am »

Ominous...
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: John Updike is dead!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 05:20:25 am »

I removed him from my Favorite Books section on facebook... probably 3 days ago.

Inev, don't de-friend me ok?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: [1]   Go Up