this has happened at least one other time, maybe two times before... my credit card company security department calls me about a suspicious transaction and leaves a message to call them. So I call them, and they deny having called me. We repeat this several times until they finally block the card, at which point when I call in, then they finally have the notes on my account as to what's happening, and they are able to unblock the card. A little bit of a bureaucratic snaffu or something. Sometimes when they call me, I am home, and I answer the phone, but then they want all sorts of personal information... they want my social security number... they want my credit card number... Who knows what else they want... Of course, I don't give any info to them, because they might not be them. They might be phishing me over the phone. So I call them back, and they have no record of having called me and have no idea what's up. This one time they called me, yesterday, it was an automated system, and it told me to hold. Eventually it transferred me to someone who transferred me to someone else, who asked me why I was calling. And I was like - you called me - why are you calling? and since they had called me, I refused to give her any information, and she couldn't help me, and she said "thank you for calling" and I was like "you're welcome... and thank you for calling"
So anyway. I finally found a solution to the whole mess. I changed my phone number listed on the account to the phone number on the back of the card. In the future, when they call me, they'll actually be calling themselves, and I won't have to worry about it. If the card ever stops working, I'll just give them a call, at which point the account will be sufficiently blocked that they will know what's going on and they will be able to unblock it.
simplify simplify simplify