Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chilling songs, but not to chill with  (Read 5362 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2010, 03:45:57 am »

That old-time jazz song by the Ink Spots doesn't give me the chills, but I'm kind of obsessed with that shit. I was hooked after I watched the BBC series The Singing Detective, which featured a couple songs by the Ink Spots along with a whole bunch of other old-timey jazz. And also a version of "I've Got You Under My Skin" by Henry Hall and the BBC Dance Orchestra that I can't find ANYWHERE. Seriously, a can to anyone who can find me a copy of that. It's one of my favorite recordings, ever. ALSO: KUOW in Seattle has a decent program on Saturday nights called The Swing Years and Beyond. You could get the urge to kill every Saturday night, JL. (Edit: you can listen here.)

The Mercy Seat by Nick Cave gives me the chills. I can't find the album version on youtube or anything, and the video mix doesn't really do it justice. Apparently this link is good for one stream of the entire song. But yeah, that song. And a few others of his.

I saw Spiritualized perform "Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space" at the end of July, and man, when they performed the title track, yeah. I've always been sucker for the album, and this song in particular. The original version.

Whoever suggested "Suspicious Minds" is correct.

Can You Get to That.

And also the version of "Like a Rolling Stone" from the Royal Albert Hall bootleg. Every. fuck*ng. Time. Couldn't find a clip, but it's officially released as Bootleg Series, vol. 4, and I'm pretty sure that there is a clip of it in that Dylan documentary Martin Scorsese did.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 03:51:53 am by miles »
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2010, 04:10:30 am »

Oh yeah. Those songs are mostly warm and happy chills (well, except for the Nick Cave song), but here are a few that give me the creepy chills.

Two from Brainiac:

Fresh New Eyes

fuck*ng with the Altimeter

And two from Karin Dreijer Andersson:

From Off to On (The Knife)

Coconut (Fever Ray)
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2010, 05:52:50 am »

Oh man, so right about that Rolling Stone version.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2010, 02:21:02 pm »

possible best thread ever.
definitely best thread i've seen in a long assed time.


first time i heard this i spontaneously sat down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o22eIJDtKho

but then i relistened to the cd last night,
and, well, god damn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6cMQ6kBm0k


most of Hum gives me chills:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTl8HcvYRqg&feature=related

Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2010, 09:41:00 pm »

first time i heard this i spontaneously sat down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o22eIJDtKho

I have a neighbor who is a British ex-pat.  Well I guess she's an ex-pat, don't know if she ever became an American citizen.  Whatever, she's in her 80s and grew up in London during the Blitz.  After the was she married a soldier who brought her to the USA.  She's been her ever since.

She loves to talk about her experiences during wartime, and I am eager to listen, she can be fascinating.  One time I asked her about Vera Lynn because I knew of her from the Pink Floyd song.  She told me she was the most popular singer in England during the war and she used to love to hear her sing because she always gave so much hope to the people.  She helped give them strength to carry on during the troubled times.

So I went out and bought a Vera Lynn collection.  She's quite good actually.  We'll Meet Again was her biggest hit.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2010, 03:49:48 am »

Nabu-- rocket from the tombs are so good. "Final Solution" makes me feel so bad about myself for liking it.

Also: Just realized that Los Angeles, which features some of my favorite vocal harmonies ever (I think the combination of John Doe and Exene Cervenka is like... such a good harmonic thing?) has the N word in it. In a way that I want to say "Bad!" but can't, because, mostly I guess because I never heard it until I read the lyrics.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2010, 01:42:39 pm »

White guilt!

I have that problem with "Oliver's Army", the John Lennon song, the Patti Smith song, and that one 10cc song. It's not edgy, people, leave it to the gangsta rap where it is appropriate.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up