damn, the people at that information center are hard to get ahold of. they don't answer their e-mail, they don't return voice mails.. in fact the first few days I called, their voice mail was full... and their fax machine didn't answer. I finally was able to send them a fax... and I sent them a snail mail letter just to be safe. Eventually they called me back. wow. This is the second non-profit group I've run into that's pretty disorganized. The other one was the NLG (national lawyers guild) SF branch. They had lined up a lawyer to represent me and some other folks *pro bono* but despite numerous e-mails and eventually a FAX inquiring about this, they neglected to actually reply and inform me that they had a lawyer to represent me, so as a result I blew $500 on my own lawyer to show up to the hearing for me, and even there, I got hella lucky because it's rare to find a lawyer who will do anything for you for $500, especially in CA where once a lawyer starts representing you in a criminal case, they are legally restricted in their ability to drop you for non-payment, therefore, they tend to want a lot of money up front. So anyway, I complained to the NLG that, hey, that's $500 of my money that I can't donate to progressive causes such as your own... you might want to get better organized, and they agreed that they had some issues, but they promised they were working on these issues.
so anywho...
here's more information for crazy people
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_semanticsAdvocates of general semantics view it as a form of mental hygiene that enables practitioners to avoid ideational traps built into natural language and "common sense" assumptions, thereby enabling practitioners to think more clearly and effectively.
That's pretty interesting to me, because yeah, our culture, including our language, makes up a huge part of who we are, and how we perceive our environment and ourselves, and how we behave, and yet, culture, including language, is fraught with non sequitur traps and errors.
General semantics thus shares some concerns with psychology but some do not consider it specifically as a therapeutic system, evaluating it as more focused on enhancing the abilities of normal individuals than curing pathology.
In his book
The Road To Tolerance -- The Philosophy of Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy Albert Ellis states that REBT is essentially applied general semantics.