Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Would Star Trek have had the same gravitas if Spock had been named Vince?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Potato Harvesting  (Read 1800 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Potato Harvesting
« on: September 24, 2011, 02:50:14 pm »

This is going to be my first year with a large crop of potatoes to harvest.  In other years, I've done little other than get them out of the ground with a fork, let them dry a bit, and store them in milk crates in my dark-ish, cool-ish pantry, but I had problems last year with some of them turning green as I left them out in the sun too long.  Anyone have experience with this and want to share?  I'm looking to bring in the crop in a week or two so any thoughts are welcome.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Potato Harvesting
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 03:31:28 pm »

Yep, the sun will turn them green. Cool dark place is right. I think you're doing everything right (as far as I know - I'm sure someone else will be more informed and experienced).

I think the thing to keep on top of (and it's too late for this year to institute this, I guess) is to make sure to keep mounding the dirt up over the plants. You probably are all over this. The first year we did potatoes I didn't really know about this. Also, I tend to not loosen the dirt far enough down when we plant, so the roots can't spread out enough. That's about the sum total of my knowledge.

The first year we planted potatoes was the only year we planted potatoes. Every year since then (four?) I haven't gotten every single one out and we've had a few plants the next year from the leftovers.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Potato Harvesting
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 01:57:28 pm »

I have had zero luck with potato plants at home, but we got a boatload of potatoes from the CSA farm. The book on preserving food I have says to keep them in a room temperature dark place for about two weeks, then move them to a cool dark place. And yes do NOT leave them out in the sun--green potatoes are not good for you.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: [1]   Go Up