Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2001-10-02- I got him a Stomper!  (Read 2180 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
2001-10-02- I got him a Stomper!
« on: March 24, 2011, 05:36:49 am »

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10022001

I didn't realize that "a momentary diversion on the road to the grave" came about this early.  One of my favorite Achewood bits, or whatever.  Maybe there was just a poster I liked?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 2001-10-02- I got him a Stomper!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 05:48:41 am »

There is something to be said for the rendering of the bear in the third panel.

His pose has changed JUST enough where you can tell he wasn't just copied from the first two panels.

As if to say "his position doesn't really need to be different and it wouldn't make any sense for it to be much different but I have to prove that I am rendering new things for the third panel".

So the bear leans slightly.

I like this.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: 2001-10-02- I got him a Stomper!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 06:09:28 am »

"Because of a problem?" is a line I have always wanted to use in real life, but the proper situation has never arisen.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 2001-10-02- I got him a Stomper!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 06:33:57 am »

This strip is pure genius.  Not one, but two of Achewood's most enduring expressions arise from these three panels.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: 2001-10-02- I got him a Stomper!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 09:09:36 am »

"Because of a problem?" is a line I have always wanted to use in real life, but the proper situation has never arisen.
I've actually integrated it seamlessly years ago. I've long forgotten that I'm using something from achewood. Mind blown.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 2001-10-02- I got him a Stomper!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 01:17:27 pm »

"Because of a problem?" is a line I have always wanted to use in real life, but the proper situation has never arisen.

You must lead a charmed life.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: 2001-10-02- I got him a Stomper!
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 01:28:27 pm »

I use "Because of a problem?" as well.  When someone demands to know why something went wrong, and there isn't a particularly good explanation.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: 2001-10-02- I got him a Stomper!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 01:53:24 pm »

You must lead a charmed life.

I should clarify that the "proper situation" includes me remembering that now would be a good time to use the line "Because of a problem?" This has yet to happen.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 2001-10-02- I got him a Stomper!
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 01:55:51 pm »

Yeah, "Because of a problem" happens almost daily in our house.

"Why is there an empty jar of peanut butter in the refrigerator?"

"Because of a problem?"
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: 2001-10-02- I got him a Stomper!
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 03:01:46 pm »

I have a hard time believing Mr. Bear owns a Stomper. Or at least that it is out of the packaging.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: [1]   Go Up