Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris Onstad does not wear makeup. Life hasn't given him any funny ideas about who he is.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1$ Coins  (Read 5985 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: 1$ Coins
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2011, 04:59:05 pm »

My Crackpot Theory:

I just got back from Ecuador.   Apparently in 2000, the banks there closed one night with everyone's Ecuadorian Sucres, but reopened the next day with US Dollars in paper money, and dollar coins.   For smaller currency, they have their own coinage, but in the same dimensions and values as ours.

Every cab I got into, the driver had a huge wad of these dollar coins to make change with.   They've really embraced the Sacajawea dollar coin down there.   Maybe they're all there instead of here.   
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: 1$ Coins
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2011, 07:50:00 am »

In honor of s_s, a lovely song about shopping carts. Bonus: sung by a guy from Canada.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: 1$ Coins
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2011, 02:32:52 pm »

Fascinating, I had no idea Ecuador was making use of U.S. currency that way. I wonder how that deal works?
 triple huh.

That was my experience down there.   The guides said "You can get $20s from the ATMs, but they'll be pretty much useless.   So before my trip I went and pulled $600 in $5 and $1 from the bank. 

After the guy put it on the counter all stacked and rubberbanded, I looked at him and said "uh, I didn't think this through.  Do you have something for me to transport this in?" It was a 6" stack of bills.   He gave me a manilla envelope, and I felt like a bag man walking through the parking lot. 
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: 1$ Coins
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2011, 05:02:26 pm »

That was my experience down there.   The guides said "You can get $20s from the ATMs, but they'll be pretty much useless.   So before my trip I went and pulled $600 in $5 and $1 from the bank. 

After the guy put it on the counter all stacked and rubberbanded, I looked at him and said "uh, I didn't think this through.  Do you have something for me to transport this in?" It was a 6" stack of bills.   He gave me a manilla envelope, and I felt like a bag man walking through the parking lot. 

I love this story.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up