Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Surprising fact: wearing clothes burns 12 more calories per day than nudity.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 9th February 2012 - Women just can't do math.  (Read 4526 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: 9th February 2012 - Women just can't do math.
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 05:28:37 pm »

My formal education was shit so math and all its attendant pals (calculus, physics etc) were always scary and humiliating to me.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 9th February 2012 - Women just can't do math.
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 08:24:22 pm »

I basically never learned my multiplication tables. Many extremely frustrating months of my life with flash cards did not help this. Yelling did not help this. Snarky teachers did not help this. It is just not how my brain works. The only way I know them know is by having to USE that information. Being quizzed and flash-carded has never taught me anything.

For some reason people are REALLY impressed when I can divide their total by two, in order to split it onto multiple credit cards. I can't decide if this is because they expect me to be stupid, or because people are really that bad at math.

Although, the other day I told a couple that they each owed $42.50.23. Should have said $42.73 but my mental math mechanism short-circuited.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 9th February 2012 - Women just can't do math.
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 08:40:33 pm »

Although, the other day I told a couple that they each owed $42.50.23.

Funny, that makes perfect sense to me in terms of making change out of a cash register.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 9th February 2012 - Women just can't do math.
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 08:52:23 pm »

Did you want an AMEN to that? Because you got one from over here in the corner.

The annoying part is that could I go back in time to 9 year old me and have that conversation, he still wouldn't be impressed.  My idea of what a scientist was at the time was firmly rooted in the mid 1800s with "natural philosophers", dinosaur hunters, and conservationists (the kind that conserved wildlife by shooting them and putting their skins in natural history museums.  I didn't see where math entered into it.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: 9th February 2012 - Women just can't do math.
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 11:12:24 am »

I was always hella good at math, doing it all in my head (and writing it down for the teacher if that's what they wanted) until I got to calculus. Then I completely lost my shit and wandered out with a D. No more maths, please.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 9th February 2012 - Women just can't do math.
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 04:22:21 pm »

I was always hella good at math, doing it all in my head (and writing it down for the teacher if that's what they wanted) until I got to calculus. Then I completely lost my shit and wandered out with a D. No more maths, please.

Yep, that's me.  Algebra?  No problem.  Geometry? Tore it up.  Trig?  Bring it on.

fuck*ng chain rule?  Buuuhhhhhhhdawwwwp.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: 9th February 2012 - Women just can't do math.
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 07:43:14 pm »

My bestfriend and I were in the same grade 12 math class with a teacher who was a total asshole, Mr. Lindall.  He would outright call students losers and stupid if they had any issues and if you dared ask a question he would laugh at you, make fun of you and otherwise humiliate you.  I had him in grade 10, a different teacher in grade 11, and him again in grade 12.  My grades went: low C, A, low C.  My best friend and I commiserated with each other a lot over how awful our teacher was.  For finals I made her a commemorative T-shirt that read "It's Over! I survived Mr. Lindall's Grade Twelve Math!"  She wore it to the exam, and when the teacher asked where she got it, she said "they're selling them outside the door." She and I are still friends to this day.  She's a teacher now.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 9th February 2012 - Women just can't do math.
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 08:00:09 pm »

My bestfriend and I were in the same grade 12 math class with a teacher who was a total asshole, Mr. Lindall.  He would outright call students losers and stupid if they had any issues and if you dared ask a question he would laugh at you, make fun of you and otherwise humiliate you.  I had him in grade 10, a different teacher in grade 11, and him again in grade 12.  My grades went: low C, A, low C.  My best friend and I comiserated with each other a lot over how awful our teacher was.  For finals I made her a comemorative T-shirt that read "It's Over! I survived Mr. Lindall's Grade Twelve Math!"  She wore it to the exam, and when the teacher asked where she got it, she said "they're selling them outside the door." She and I are still friends to this day.  She's a teacher now.

I love this. But you really should have made two dozen and sold them on the way out after the exam. You'd have made a killing.

We had a physics teacher (by we, I mean me, Pedro, and my BFF) who was just a dick to people. He would brag about how many times he had made girls cry by grilling them with hard questions in front of the class. Basically a big grown-up bully.

He was a big fat round guy who looked a lot like the guy who played Newman on Seinfeld (but our teacher was much larger) and also vaguely like the guy in this Old El Paso Commercial around the time we were in his class. So we would alternately call him "Newman" or "Nacho Man" behind his back when he was being evil.

I had him second period and BFF and Pedro had him fifth, and one day he caught wind of our relationship and casually mentioned to Pedro during class that "blondes are a dime a dozen anyway," basically implying (based on the context that was relayed to me secondhand) that I was essentially a throwaway whore. Pedro, the charming, mild-mannered, model student and student government representative, shot back with, "Fuck off, Nacho Man" before he could blink. He ended up getting written up for detention for the first and only time in his life, but NM offered to let him out of it if he came back the next day with an apology and a candy bar. Which, of course, he did. Last I heard he is still teaching. What a smug sonofabitch he was.

The other thing I remember was that he had a pair of pale blue trousers that he would sometimes wear with a pale pink dress shirt and yellow tie. On those days, he was neither Newman nor Nacho Man. On those days, he was an Easter Egg.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up