Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wine: Keep a red and a white on hand at all times. When choosing wines on the wine aisle, use this simple rhyme to make your selection: “Closer to the floor, is meant for the poor / closer to the lights, is more like for if Bono comes over.” -=RAY=-

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mystic River  (Read 1819 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Mystic River
« on: February 09, 2004, 10:10:39 am »

I saw Mystic River tonight, and now I can't sleep.  It was one of the most affecting times I've experienced watching a film.  The acting is as good as you've heard, the shots are effective without being flashy, but it's something else that's stuck with me, that I can't shake: Atmosphere.

It's something that most films lack, so I appreciate it even more when a film expands itself, when it can build its world on an unused parcel of my mind and set up shop there.

The last hour or so of the film I was left with a nervous empty feeling in my stomach - a few hours later and it's still there.

Someone asked me afterwards whether I "liked" it or not.  I'm certain that I did not.  I'm also certain it's the best film of the year.  And the year before that.

Sure, it follows the predictable plot machinations of the whodunnit police procedural, but it does so with a harrowing style, and an atmosphere of despair - of anticipatory dread that's like a knee on your chest.

I still can't catch a breath.
Pages: [1]   Go Up