Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Making money from art is not vulgar. Art is a commodity. It makes people feel something. It raises the greater sum of human happiness. It increases the gaiety of the nation. It has a value. -John Allison

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Onstad does not deserve this  (Read 33061 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

revdj

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 102
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dougshaw.com
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #90 on: August 07, 2003, 01:34:56 am »

Quote from: "jough"

But what did he do?  Like a petulant child he got a bug up his ass and in less than a day's time closed the message board.

That's fine.  He's entitled.  But I prefer to spend my money on people who are a little more considerate to their fans.  People like rstevens, from whom I'll be ordering a book.  I'll have to check to see if he autographs them, because the extra scratch is usually worth it.
-- Jough


Here's where we disagree.  I never spent my money on Onstad - I spent my money on merchandise I wanted to own.  I didn't buy my Philippe hoodie because I liked Onstand and wanted him to have my money; I bought it because I wanted to own a Philippe hoodie.  And I still love it.k

I don't see why you used to buy merchandise and don't know.  How does Chris' messageboarditude affect whether you want to own achewood clothing?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #91 on: August 07, 2003, 02:40:29 am »

Well, I don't own any Achewood clothing but I do have all three books, so the point of whether I'll be buying anything else is moot at this point.

All I'm saying is that if I'm going to spend my money I'd rather fork it over to someone who appreciates it, and doesn't say "fuck you" after he's taken it.

So the next time I have a choice between an Achewood book and a Scary Go Round book, or a Diesel Sweeties book, I'll take choice #2.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #92 on: August 07, 2003, 03:29:24 am »

See, that was kind of my thing, too. I actually like the comic Achewood more than DS and Wigu, but I bought DS and WiGU shirts because I like them more than any of the Achewood shirts.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #93 on: August 07, 2003, 08:10:24 am »

Quote from: "revdj"
I spent my money on merchandise I wanted to own.

right. but how much of that is because you actually wanted to support onstad's business. it would have been cheaper to order a private silkscreen of phillipe onto a blank hoodie. or even do it your DAMN self. but you wanted to support an artist who puts out a product that you continue to enjoy and cannot afford the alcohol it takes to get himself drunk enough to produce that product unless you buy some other completely unrelated product. I bought all three books, because I wanted them, and a teeshirt, because I wanted to support a webcomic. I chose my favorite webcomic at the time and bought the teeshirt. webcomics account for a large portion of my daily entertainment, I should probably support more of them, but I am cheap.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #94 on: August 08, 2003, 01:25:43 am »

My primary motivation for buying a teeshirt was to support Onstad.  

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #95 on: August 08, 2003, 02:43:29 am »

I just did that by sending him liquor directly.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #96 on: August 08, 2003, 06:02:21 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Well, I don't own any Achewood clothing but I do have all three books, so the point of whether I'll be buying anything else is moot at this point.

All I'm saying is that if I'm going to spend my money I'd rather fork it over to someone who appreciates it, and doesn't say "fuck you" after he's taken it.

So the next time I have a choice between an Achewood book and a Scary Go Round book, or a Diesel Sweeties book, I'll take choice #2.

jough, I seriously fail to see any kind of serious correlation between what Onstad's been doing (closing the original board, the Variety Hour) and what you've been doing (reading his strip, buying the books).  You might be well advised to step off the Taking It Personally Bus and have a Coke and a smile.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #97 on: August 08, 2003, 06:10:01 pm »

It's time I chimed in.  I buy Achewood stuff because I want Achewood stuff.  I personally have shelled out over $200 on books and clothing.  The books I bought as a statement of support, really.  But regardless of how I feel about him personally, the man makes DAMN GOOD SHIRT DESIGNS.  Even if you've never seen an Achewood strip in your life, you can still appreciate a "Good with Computers" baby doll tee or a "Science" hoodie.  These are universal themes.  (Sort of.)  So I think most people are buying his stuff because it's good quality stuff -- even if the shipping delays leave something to be desired.  And at 1300 customers in 2 years, he has all the excuse he needs for that.

That's it.  Stick a fork in me, I'm done.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #98 on: August 08, 2003, 06:12:45 pm »

I'm fairly certain a couple of other internet people I know have bought "Science" shirts while never having read a single Achewood strip in their lives.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up