Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Poll

Well?

Cheddar
- 1 (5%)
Swiss
- 2 (10%)
Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 (10%)
Provolone
- 1 (5%)
Bleu
- 1 (5%)
Jarlsberg
- 2 (10%)
Feta
- 1 (5%)
American
- 1 (5%)
Other (please specify)
- 8 (40%)
I Hate Cheese Or Am Lactose Intolerant
- 1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: July 07, 2004, 02:13:17 am


Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite Cheese  (Read 6632 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Favorite Cheese
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2004, 04:09:49 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I must say that I have an intense interest in sharp prov.  I like it on sandwiches, by itself, on top of a naked woman... you name it.  I just love the stuff.



Curse you, Jough, now my favorite sharp provolone, nostalgic cheese of my Italian childhood, is ruined forever.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Favorite Cheese
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2004, 05:17:50 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
a whole long list o' cheeses


Yeah, I had about thirty poll options because it doesn't limit how many you can add, just how many you can post. Dur! The fact that the "Add Option" button submits to the server and doesn't check to see whether the limit is already met just Steams My Britches. Usability, people! Usability!

Most of those I deleted to make it fit were in your list, though; however, specifying Norwegian Jarlsberg and Greek Feta when Jarlsberg and Feta made it to the damn poll is, oh, an exercise in picking nits, perhaps?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Favorite Cheese
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2004, 05:36:37 pm »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
a whole long list o' cheeses


Yeah, I had about thirty poll options because it doesn't limit how many you can add, just how many you can post. Dur! The fact that the "Add Option" button submits to the server and doesn't check to see whether the limit is already met just Steams My Britches. Usability, people! Usability!

Most of those I deleted to make it fit were in your list, though; however, specifying Norwegian Jarlsberg and Greek Feta when Jarlsberg and Feta made it to the damn poll is, oh, an exercise in picking nits, perhaps?


What a senseless waste of human life.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Favorite Cheese
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2004, 06:03:54 pm »

Dayum! I'm just all sorts of not-picking-up-on-things lately...


Good thing I quit smoking pot, then. Apparently I've lost enough brain cells already.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Favorite Cheese
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2004, 07:48:12 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"


What a senseless waste of human life.


Don't feel unappreciated or anything, I got it, I just couldn't think of a clever reply in time...  I suppose it was my foolish mistake to think that just another "I love AugustWest" post was uncalled for.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Favorite Cheese
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2004, 09:46:40 pm »

I wasn't trying to be caustic, that's just the last line of the sketch.

Quote from: "Pearlie Baker"
I suppose it was my foolish mistake to think that just another "I love AugustWest" post was uncalled for.


You can never have too many "I love AugustWest" posts.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Favorite Cheese
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2004, 09:57:37 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I wasn't trying to be caustic, that's just the last line of the sketch.



I know!  I know! But I don't know who Pearlie Baker is!  Oh, now August is thinking we are all too dumb to get his jokes and he's going to leave us for another messageboard!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Favorite Cheese
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2004, 10:32:15 pm »

Is there actually such a thing as "Venezuelan Beaver Cheese?"

If so, does it actually involve... you know... beaver milk?

And where do they sell these sorts of things, anyway?

oh god I am too stupid for this messageboard
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Favorite Cheese
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2004, 10:49:30 pm »

Oh, God. Cheese is definitely one of my most favorite foods.

My all-time, hands-down, best-cheese-award goes to... GOUDA!

Goat gouda particularly. Gah... it is just perfection in dense dairy form.

Second place goes to.... SMOKED CHEDDAR! Flavor Burgers just wouldn't be the same without you, baby.

And the bronze medal is awarded to... ASIAGO! You make ciabatta worth living for.

Thank you, cheese, for being such an awesome food product. <3 <3 <3
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Favorite Cheese
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2004, 11:58:07 pm »

Can I just go ahead and applaud you all for choosing neither "I Hate Cheese..." nor "American?"

Thanks.

Thanks.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Favorite Cheese
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2004, 02:01:34 am »

Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I wasn't trying to be caustic, that's just the last line of the sketch.



I know!  I know! But I don't know who Pearlie Baker is!  Oh, now August is thinking we are all too dumb to get his jokes and he's going to leave us for another messageboard!


Well, Pearlie Baker is August West's long lost love.  They're both characters in the Grateful Dead song "Wharf Rat".  August is a dirty smelly bum who tells his story to the narrator.  He knows that Pearlie's been true to him.  He's sure of it.

Lord knows I don't think anybody around here is dumb.  And I'd never leave because then I'd have no social life at all.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Favorite Cheese
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2004, 02:22:01 am »

To actually respond to the topic of the thread:

I chose Swiss.  This is one of those unanswerable questions, like "What's your favorite music?" or "Who's the greatest guitar player?"  Swiss was the first thing to come to mind, but the cheese is such a vast and wonderful world of flavorocity that you can't choose just one.

I'm a big Feta lover.  You can't go wrong with a really really sharp Cheddar (Welsh Rarebit -- mmm).  Gorgonzolas, bleu, smoked Gouda.  I can't really think of a cheese that I don't like -- although I will admit to be less fond of the soft cheeses in the Brie/Camembaert line.

I meant to post about this when we did it, but Mrs. West and I had a very expensive meal (for us) about 10 days ago.  We went to the Melting Pot, a fondue restaurant (the cheese connection).  It was pretty excellent, but expensive.  Also, it's like an event -- the meal took 3.5 hours.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Favorite Cheese
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2004, 05:02:07 am »

I like many cheeses a lot but Jarlsberg particularly.
I kind of have a grudge against asiago for reasons that are a little unfair to the cheese itself: a couple of sandwich chains tried to make asiago "hip" (or maybe it became hip on its own and I just didn't notice and they were riding the bandwagon) so for a while there were enormous gobs of asiago in everything even when it was counterproductive or at least unnecessary. It's not a bad cheese but this is the sort of thing that can prejudice a fellow against it.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Favorite Cheese
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2004, 12:52:39 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"

Well, Pearlie Baker is August West's long lost love.  They're both characters in the Grateful Dead song "Wharf Rat".  August is a dirty smelly bum who tells his story to the narrator.  He knows that Pearlie's been true to him.  He's sure of it.



Aw shucks.  And a rodent, sort of, even.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
Favorite Cheese
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2004, 11:33:29 pm »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Can I just go ahead and applaud you all for choosing neither "I Hate Cheese..." nor "American?"

Thanks.

Thanks.


I picked American. Because AMERICAN. IS. RAD. If Velveeta was up there, i would have picked that. Because I am poor white trash. Although i do envy you Achewood foodies, i just don't have the time/money, so i haven't even heard of half the cheeses y'all are talking about. But I'm sure they're...you know...good and all. Because cheese is the main reason vegans have crappy lives.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up