Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that Wombat has figured out how to edit the News Box!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: This is Actually About the Variety Hour  (Read 3316 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MSC

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 142
    • View Profile
This is Actually About the Variety Hour
« on: August 08, 2003, 10:16:01 pm »

Before the other thread wandered, V-Adore wrote of the Variety Hour:

"and if it's based on Onstad's old college humor-magazine cronies, there's immense potential for lack of quality control, but that's a whole different can of worms..."

On that basis, things don't bode well, I guess.  Here is info (sort of) on one of the recent contributors.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
This is Actually About the Variety Hour
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2003, 10:37:59 pm »

Well, it doesn't necessarily have to be a problem; the Variety Hour has the potential to be a whole lot of fun and to give us some pretty quality content. I guess I just worry that, if Onstad is just going to his old friends from college, we also have the potential for either articles that don't really work for Achewood (like I'd argue for "The Whipping Zoo") or... well, just plain bad stuff.

I'm still sitting on the fence, personally. It may take a few more weeks, but eventually the Variety Hour'll come into itself.
Logged

rstevens

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16
    • View Profile
This is Actually About the Variety Hour
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2003, 02:04:29 am »

you don't let your old cronies run roughshod over your current work.

you might have grown in different directions - and it's tough to say no to them.

V-Adore

  • Guest
This is Actually About the Variety Hour
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2003, 03:01:41 am »

Quote from: "rstevens"
you don't let your old cronies run roughshod over your current work.

you might have grown in different directions - and it's tough to say no to them.

EXACTLY.

Onstad is dedicated to his work and strong-willed, as we've all seen recently, but I think even he might have a problem saying "y'know, this kind of... sucks, I'm sorry" to an old friend. That's what worries me about the Variety Hour -- that we'll get any old slush from his friends, because he'll put it all up.
Logged

MSC

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 142
    • View Profile
This is Actually About the Variety Hour
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2003, 08:54:41 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
we also have the potential for either articles that don't really work for Achewood (like I'd argue for "The Whipping Zoo") or... well, just plain bad stuff.


I, too, am sitting on the fence.  However, I must point out that so far, the Variety Hour (both Onstad and non-Onstad-penned material) has not been very Achewood-toned.  Rather, its tone has reminded me of the stuff on McSweeney's website.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
This is Actually About the Variety Hour
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2003, 11:37:12 pm »

Hey that thing mentioned a baseball player named McRae.  That's my name.  He played for 19 seasons and I had never heard of him.  Damn.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

MSC

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 142
    • View Profile
This is Actually About the Variety Hour
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2003, 03:02:42 pm »

Hal McRae was a very good player.  His son Brian played for the Royals and other teams in the 90s.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up