Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zappa?  (Read 7474 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Zappa?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2003, 10:25:53 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"

"Incredibly influential musician who has had a direct influence on jazz, rock, Jazz-Rock, Comedy, and Captain Beefheart. "

...and Captain Beefheart.  Do I see a Captain Beefheart thread on the horizon.  And that could only lead to a discussion of Firesign Theater.


Aaaaaaaah, Captain Beefheart! Good stuff.
The list of Zappa's influenced is vast though. I mean, Beefheart and a good number of his band played for Zappa originally. Adrian Belew - King Crimson's guitarrist was a Zappa trainee. All the people that are considered finest guitarrists too, like Steve Vai learnt a lot from Zappa.
Now if he hadn't gone and died I could ship myself across there and be one of his kids!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Zappa
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2003, 02:50:31 am »

Quote from: "Limmo"

      Ship Arriving Too Late To Save a Drowning Witch
     

I like this album, and it is rarely name-checked.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Zappa?
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2003, 08:56:06 am »

Oh God, don't tell me Zappa's gonna be the favorite band on this board.  I think we have a new saddest thing.  

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Zappa immensely, but his diehard fans ruin it for me.  There is something about the fervency that really puts me off.  Let me clue you in to a little secret, he's not as good as you think he is.

Same thing goes for The Doors and U2.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Zappa?
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2003, 04:59:55 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Oh God, don't tell me Zappa's gonna be the favorite band on this board.  I think we have a new saddest thing.  

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Zappa immensely, but his diehard fans ruin it for me.  There is something about the fervency that really puts me off.  Let me clue you in to a little secret, he's not as good as you think he is.

Same thing goes for The Doors and U2.

~Paul


OK, so yea, Zappa would in no way make it onto my top ten probably, but he was technically a superb musician and writer, and shaped a lot of music since, even if in a very unmentioned way. I mean having basically haled to form bands like Captain Beefheart and Crimson, and taught Vai and a couple of the other considered greats, who then went on to affect music quite heavily, he has had a big effect.
Now, U2 I despise! Always hated them so much. They're just, too poppy and unimaginative for me. The Doors on the other hand, they might make it into a well thought out top ten of all time for me, while I tend to forget about them, they're a band who I can put anything on by them at any time and really enjoy. They were good!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Zappa?
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2003, 05:48:37 pm »

I own more Zappa CDs than I do any other artist, but that's probably because he just has so many.  

I mean, would it even be possible to own 40 Morphine albums?  Or the Velvet Underground?  I thinkn't.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Zappa?
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2003, 07:12:16 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Oh God, don't tell me Zappa's gonna be the favorite band on this board.  I think we have a new saddest thing.  

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Zappa immensely, but his diehard fans ruin it for me.  There is something about the fervency that really puts me off.  Let me clue you in to a little secret, he's not as good as you think he is.

Same thing goes for The Doors and U2.

~Paul



    Just because Zappa's the first individual artist to be discussed on the board doesn't mean he's the universal favorite, so don't worry about it.  We probably should have talked about The Shaggs first!
    I listened to Zappa heavily in the late 80s/early 90s, but only find myself returning to him in increasingly longer arcs of time.  
    Also forgot to list his amazing The Yellow Shark.

    The Doors were a wedding band that had a drunk poet for a singer.  "Come live with us in forests of azure, but first, a toast to the bride and the groom! Burp!"  I've boiled their entire discography down to one CD that's pretty good, but nowhere near the level of contemporaries like Hendrix and The Byrds.
   I like a lot of U2's albums, and it's always fun to watch when their reach completely exceeds their grasp ( e.g. Rattle and Hum, PopMart ) and they have to figure out something new to do.  
   Jough: if only we lived in a universe where the Velvet Underground made 40 albums!
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Zappa?
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2003, 08:05:05 pm »

Yes, just to reiterate and make myself clear, I have no problem with Zappa (or the Doors or U2), I think they're all  pretty good.  Actually Zappa's f'n great, but some of the fans of these particular bands I find are pretty obnoxious.

"Come Live with us in Fields of Azure."  That's a good one.  My favorite is "If they say I never loved you, you know they are a liar."  Huh?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Zappa?
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2003, 08:07:41 pm »

Quote
if only we lived in a universe where the Velvet Underground made 40 albums!


VU is cool, but if we had 40 albums might they sound a lot like the 40 Lou Reed albums we do have?  Maybe it's good they stopped when they did.

I'd rather wish for a world with 40 Big Star albums.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Zappa?
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2003, 08:08:39 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Actually Zappa's f'n great, but some of the fans of these particular bands I find are pretty obnoxious.
~Paul


To quote High FIdelity: "I advertise in the back of glossy rock magazine, and get letters from young men, always men, [...] who seem to spend a disproportionate amount of their time looking for deleted Smith's singles and 'ORIGINAL NOT RE-RELEASED' underlined Frank Zappa albums."
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Zappa?
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2003, 02:34:26 pm »

As the OP'er, I feel obligated to defend myself.  I am not one of those fans.  I have known them.  I'm not, nor have I ever been, that guy.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Zappa?
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2003, 07:41:00 am »

I didn't mean to kill this discussion.

What's the Ugliest part of your body?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Zappa?
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2003, 01:33:15 pm »

Well, that one found it's demise then!
Woooh this'll be fun...

(my right big toe...)
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up