Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Snowboarding! (aka spending time falling in the snow)  (Read 1748 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Snowboarding! (aka spending time falling in the snow)
« on: December 10, 2004, 07:38:39 pm »

Word.  I just got a pair of k2 snowboard boots on eBay for $34! A coworker lent me an old snowboard, and while it is ghetto and ugly, it will be a great board for me to learn on.

It is annoying to go boarding with my friends who are practically semi-pro, however. I was asking my friend Ryan if he would teach me. The crux of his conversation was, "It's natural for your body to do it...once you get on the slope, your body will know what to do." Yeah, right. My body spends an inordinate amount of time trying to kill me, Ryan.

In his defense, he has been skiing and boarding for most of his life and undoubtedly it comes as naturally to him as walking. As for me, I downloaded some beginning snowboarding tips on Al Gore's Magical Invention.

My biggest fear is falling down and breaking my Oakley prescription eyeglasses. I need to get some contact lenses so that I can fall on my face without fear. Many snowboarders break their wrists trying to catch themselves in an effort to preserve their face from hitting the snow. I will post updates about my boarding adventures.

The other cool thing about the Aleutians is that I can walk for 2 minutes or drive for five and hike up to go boarding. There are no chairlifts. It is hella fun.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Snowboarding! (aka spending time falling in the snow)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 07:40:30 pm »

I know for roller blading one can purchase various wrist protectors but I imaging they wouldn't work as well on snow as they do on pavement.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Snowboarding! (aka spending time falling in the snow)
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 09:43:43 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
In short, learn how to fall.


That, and have no fear. Fear will stop you getting better at trusting your balance, and the rigidity your body goes into when scared helps none in both the falling and not damaging, and boarding well stakes.
I don't have any experience on the snow though. Sadly. Some day I will get round to snow boarding, as I love the look of it. Closest I've gotten was mountain boarding, which was terrifying - speed and not snow... Hmmmm...

Unfortunately I have done the foll on face plant, but on concrete. 'tis the nature of my stupidity though, to pick a past time that aims to maim.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: [1]   Go Up