Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You..Are..Rad

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scotch.  (Read 16611 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2007, 06:54:30 pm »

He gets really, really worked up into a lather about Women Who Keep Their Names because he thinks it's bullshit.

He knows that women can vote and own property, right?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2007, 08:11:03 pm »

I've known a few guys who've taken a similar view - they saw it as just bucking tradition for the sake of it, a fuss over nothing and what-have-you. I've never for a second agreed with them, but none of them were exactly backward elsewhere - sometimes people are just unduly attached to some traditions and assume that because their implications wouldn't matter to them, it's unreasonable for them to matter to anybody else. So far as I can tell, this is not an idiosyncrasy that indicates raging sexism with any certainty, silly and unreasonable as it is on its own merits.

My personal preference is to end up with a family name one way or the other, though frankly I don't mind a jot whose. I do, however, have an irrational little prejudice of my very own about double-barrelled names.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2007, 08:12:11 pm »

This is the interesting thing...

I think it is well-established that I'm a pretty progressive dude.

Help people when you can and always try to at least never hurt and other than that, go wild if you're consenting.

And when you've been dating a girl for over seven years and living together for over five, the conjectural discussion of a marriage comes up occasionally and... y'know... that's fine. I'm not opposed to marrying SOME day, just not until I have my life more sorted out and... she's even less into the idea than I am.

However, she says that if we got married, she'd want me to take a hyphenate of our names or just her name and... like...

No.

She wouldn't have to take my name, I'm completely indifferent on the idea but...

Fer God's sake, I'd keep my own name too.

I quite enjoy having the most common first name for males in the English language and then a middle and a last name that almost no one has ever heard of, let alone being able to spell or pronounce.

She possesses a maddeningly common surname and I'm like... no, sorry. No.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2007, 08:18:04 pm »

...Does she know you can vote?

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2007, 09:40:26 pm »

I quite enjoy having the most common first name for males in the English language and then a middle and a last name that almost no one has ever heard of, let alone being able to spell or pronounce.

She possesses a maddeningly common surname and I'm like... no, sorry. No.

See, this is one of my arguments, too. My given name is fairly common (it was utterly ubiquitous among girls born in the same half-decade I was), but my middle and last name are pretty uncommon and weird. The Gentleman Caller has a fairly generic, common surname. I'm afraid that if I take his name, a critical mass of Genericness might build up, obliterating all specifity in its path.

(This is before we get into the fact that, if I marry Gentleman Caller and have a son, we each have separate embarrassing family-tradition middle names we could want that child to have.)
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2007, 04:17:14 am »

However, she says that if we got married, she'd want me to take a hyphenate of our names or just her name and... like...

No.


I had the same talk once with the special ladyfriend.   My initials are S. N. M.   Gotta hang on to that.

On a related note, I proposed once to a girl my senior year of High School.   She had the same first name and middle initial as I did.   If she took my last name, then we would have functionally the same name, with the exception of my middle name being Neil, and her's being Nicole.  I elucidated on the fact that we could use each others bank accounts.  Hell, EVERY account would be a joint account.   We could mess with people by using each other's IDs and then saying "Oh, I had a sex change operation, here's my ID from before!"

She said she wasn't ready to "settle down over a banking joke."  Fair enough... it still would have been awesome.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2007, 12:48:12 am »

Women don't need to drive.  There ain't no road between the bedroom and the kitchen!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2007, 02:27:34 am »

Women don't need to drive.  There ain't no road between the bedroom and the kitchen!

But then how will we get to each other's houses for pillow fight orgies?  Really jough, you're not thinking right!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2007, 03:01:48 am »

The Men can drive them. They'll have to be there anyway to operate the complicated video cameras so that the ladies don't have to worry their pretty little heads over it.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up