Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Awww yeah who is CATHOLIC up in this piece?!?!" -- you never hear that any more.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spam filters for Outlook Express  (Read 2915 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Spam filters for Outlook Express
« on: April 06, 2005, 04:13:59 pm »

I recently got a new computer, after my old one passed away quietly in the night. My old computer had a not-technically-mine-but-loved-all-the-same version of Office on it. Now I'm using Outlook Express for my e-mail. I used to have SpamBayes installed on my Outlook (and I believe I even heard about SpamBayes here), and it worked magically, but apparently it doesn't work for OE. Anyone have any good spam filter suggestions for OE?
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Spam filters for Outlook Express
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 05:26:35 pm »

Quote from: "Golfhaus"
Anyone have any good spam filter suggestions for OE?


Thunderbird...

I'm not helping am I?
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Spam filters for Outlook Express
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 06:34:48 pm »

PopFile.  It's bayesian based, it's a proxy app so any pop based mail client will work with it.  i think it uses perl.  regardless, config is done through a web-browser interface.  

http://popfile.sourceforge.net/

the mascot is an octopus.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Spam filters for Outlook Express
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 05:47:19 am »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Golfhaus"
Anyone have any good spam filter suggestions for OE?


Thunderbird...

I'm not helping am I?


It may not be what you were looking for, but I must second that Thunderbird is the better find.  Outlook Express is dangerous.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Re: Spam filters for Outlook Express
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 07:04:12 am »

Quote from: "slink"
Thunderbird...

I'm not helping am I?


What is this "helping"

I came to this planet to teach love and distribute smiles according to need and NOW LOOK
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Spam filters for Outlook Express
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 12:49:22 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Golfhaus"
Anyone have any good spam filter suggestions for OE?

Thunderbird...

I'm not helping am I?

It may not be what you were looking for, but I must second that Thunderbird is the better find.  Outlook Express is dangerous.

OE may be dangerous but it's the only dang program that works with hotmail. And my that's what I use for my "public" e-mail account. I can't imagine any other reason for using it, though.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Re: Spam filters for Outlook Express
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 01:59:25 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
OE may be dangerous but it's the only dang program that works with hotmail. And my that's what I use for my "public" e-mail account. I can't imagine any other reason for using it, though.


I used to use Thunderbird with a little application called "Hotmail Popper", whose website informs me that only paying Hotmail members can access Hotmail through "outside program". So CJ, either you're paying for Hotmail (why?) or they make a specific exception for Outlook Express...
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Spam filters for Outlook Express
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 04:26:57 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
OE may be dangerous but it's the only dang program that works with hotmail. And my that's what I use for my "public" e-mail account. I can't imagine any other reason for using it, though.

I used to use Thunderbird with a little application called "Hotmail Popper", whose website informs me that only paying Hotmail members can access Hotmail through "outside program". So CJ, either you're paying for Hotmail (why?) or they make a specific exception for Outlook Express...

Grandfather clause. They used to offer free OE (or Outlook) access to all members and just this year changed it to paying members only. But if you made use of this feature back when it was free then that account gets to keep doing it. I just have to use OE to check my e-mail once a month to keep it active.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up