Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hydroponic seltzer clams.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Supply and Demand  (Read 6054 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Supply and Demand
« on: August 02, 2003, 02:04:28 am »

As previously mentioned, I got to Achewood from Lileks.  Since we seem to be tracing the geneology back farther, I'm pretty sure I got to Lileks either from the Straight Dope Message Board (any SDMB'ers around?) or from one of the drawers here.  As I recall it was the Art Frahm pictures that I hit first, followed quickly by the Gallery of Regrettable Food.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Supply and Demand
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2003, 03:04:11 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
As I recall it was the Art Frahm pictures that I hit first, followed quickly by the Gallery of Regrettable Food.


That's exactly the path I took.  What led me to the Frahm pages?  I don't have a clue.  I was in college; it could have been anything.  I was still on Yahoo chat a lot, pretending to be a 22 year old guy, and making seventeen year old girls fall in love with me.  It might have been a link from a friend there.  Or it might have been something as random as a web search for humor sites. Who knows.  At any rate, Lileks has been a faithful friend for 3 years -- I showed up right around the time Gnat was born.  Those who haven't checked out his work yet are referred to this page.  I can't check the link because the site seems to be down at the moment; apologies if it's broken.  I'll check it later.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Supply and Demand
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2003, 05:04:13 am »

I got to achewood via Lileks.

Quote
That's exactly the path I took. What led me to the Frahm pages?


I discovered Lileks via his Frahm pages which were mentioned in Playboys living online section.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Supply and Demand
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2003, 05:30:40 am »

I think I was doing some kind of web searching and stumbled across Lilek's Institure of Official Cheer. One of the first things I remember is the Gobbler Motel. At any rate, Lileks rocks the Known World and put me onto Achewood, which is all kinds of good. The Dorcas Collection is possibly one of the funnier things on the web, too.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Supply and Demand
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2003, 02:30:32 pm »

I too answered Lileks; found him more than six months before the baby, I believe through Zeldman pointing at a hotel in his Institute's gallery of postcards.

I have since stopped reading Lileks. Bookmark? gone. Link from homepage? gone. Why? I was bored and fed up with his neocon rants.

That said, he seems like a nice enough chap when not discussing anything of meaning to anyone outside his house.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Supply and Demand
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2003, 04:37:11 pm »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"

I have since stopped reading Lileks. Bookmark? gone. Link from homepage? gone. Why? I was bored and fed up with his neocon rants.


I quite reading him for quite a spell after 9/11.  But Gnat just turned 3; "we" "caught" "many" of the "bad guys"; he's fighting a continuous Battle of Wits Royalle with Hugh Hewitt; and enough people complained about his WarBleats (TM) that he has reduced their prevelance and started giving fair warning when he's about to make a sudden leap right, so we can all skip those portions of the diary.  

Lileks: Discover him again...for the first time.  

Maybe we could add a Lileks forum if there's enough interest?  Broaden our horizons a little?  Let me know what y'all think.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Supply and Demand
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2003, 05:22:14 pm »

Maybe if we had a Lileks forum, Lileks would post messages yelling at us.

It would be almost like the old days *sniff*.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Supply and Demand
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2003, 05:53:05 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"

Maybe we could add a Lileks forum if there's enough interest?  Broaden our horizons a little?  Let me know what y'all think.


Maybe that would finally give me a chance to ask him what the hell ever happened with that CD he was talking about.  Some symphony some kid wrote....

Anyway, I too came via Lileks, which I found when someone emailed me a link to the Gallery of Regrettable Food.  Or something to that effect.
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Supply and Demand
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2003, 07:03:30 pm »

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Lileks forum.  Lileks forum.  LILEKS FORUM.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Supply and Demand
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2003, 07:53:55 pm »

Way back he used to separate the war/political stuff into another page called Screeds but I guess he gave up on that.

I want to know when the Gallery special will be on Food Network. I have a WishList set up for Lileks, just in case.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Supply and Demand
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2003, 08:05:48 pm »

In case anyone ever wonders how this forum came to be.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: [1]   Go Up