Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: August 8, 2005 - Harry Potter and the Hanoi Hilton  (Read 5294 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
August 8, 2005 - Harry Potter and the Hanoi Hilton
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2005, 04:00:43 pm »

So I haven't been here for a while though I pay my respects to the comic every day.  This strip actually inspired me to return to the forum to see how everyone took it.  I thought it was hilarious, seeing as how clearly it illustrates Lyle's feelings for Harry Potter, but it seems to have a less-than-awesome reaction here.  Ah, well.  

And Stiv and Uggs aren't regulars in the book.  No, I haven't read the most recent two, but I'll bet you 50 bucks (and win) that Onstad's hasn't either.  However, it is not clear how much time he has spent in Hanoi.

sensate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 111
    • View Profile
August 8, 2005 - Harry Potter and the Hanoi Hilton
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2005, 04:12:19 pm »

Crabbe and Goyle would have been good for Stiv and Uggs, maybe with Malfoy gimped up in the corner.
Logged

Null

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 204
    • View Profile
    • http://beckoningchasm.com
August 8, 2005 - Harry Potter and the Hanoi Hilton
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2005, 04:25:19 pm »

It has to be admitted that at least Lyle was polite to Philippe.  He could, after all, have barked "Shaddap, you!  I'm thinkin'!" and backhanded Philippe into the next panel.
Logged

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
August 8, 2005 - Harry Potter and the Hanoi Hilton
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2005, 04:29:12 pm »

Quote from: "Null"
It has to be admitted that at least Lyle was polite to Philippe.  He could, after all, have barked "Shaddap, you!  I'm thinkin'!" and backhanded Philippe into the next panel.


This sounds like the kind of stuff Lyle can churn out without having to think much.

This is once again an example of how I can't introduce people to this strip in mixed company.

ALT TITLE: "I ready hot shot"
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
August 8, 2005 - Harry Potter and the Hanoi Hilton
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2005, 06:10:55 pm »

Quote from: "linnea"
It does raise a lot more questions than it answers. Readying a "hot shot"? Six pots of green tea? Climbing on top of a glass coffee table?


I think she's saying, in vietnamese prostitute patois, "I am ready for you, Mr. Client".
Logged

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
August 8, 2005 - Harry Potter and the Hanoi Hilton
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2005, 06:14:11 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I think she's saying, in vietnamese prostitute patois, "I am ready for you, Mr. Client".


Surprisingly, in this context it works both ways.  But I think you're right as to the actual intention.

I can't believe I'm discussing this.  Especially whilst at work.  Oh well, it's all for a good cause.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up