Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Art Auction -- Terrible High School Portraits  (Read 1665 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
New Art Auction -- Terrible High School Portraits
« on: July 21, 2005, 07:08:37 pm »

Now this is a pretty neat art-auction concept. I like the paintings themselves, although of course the cost is way too rich for my college-student blood. There's even a Playboy thrown in, which is a nice touch.

Anyone in the running for these babies?
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
New Art Auction -- Terrible High School Portraits
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 08:23:54 pm »

Man, I don't know.  I do not really think painting is the thing that Onstad should be doing or rather that it is his forte in any way, and what I'm saying is that these strike me as quite phoned in.
Logged
goose means greedy

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
New Art Auction -- Terrible High School Portraits
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 08:28:38 pm »

I think these are perfectly serviceable paintings. Not at all surprised Beef owned a Science Diet t-shirt when he was a pimply lad.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
New Art Auction -- Terrible High School Portraits
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 08:30:03 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Man, I don't know.  I do not really think painting is the thing that Onstad should be doing or rather that it is his forte in any way, and what I'm saying is that these strike me as quite phoned in.

I like them quite a lot in small doses. I definitely don't think Onstad should be doing them all the time -- his writing is what really shines -- and I think you have a point in that painting seems like it's just translating his strip art. That said, I appreciate it for what it is.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
New Art Auction -- Terrible High School Portraits
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 08:52:01 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Man, I don't know.  I do not really think painting is the thing that Onstad should be doing or rather that it is his forte in any way, and what I'm saying is that these strike me as quite phoned in.


In the sense that they probably won't find their way to the Louvre, i suppose. I never had a lot of respect for Andy Warhol as a "Painter" but I do have a print of his because it represents a pop-culture era and/or meme....Interesting,  yes, but representative of concepts that have nothing at all to do with the content.

I think these paintings would represent to the buyer something else beyond "art piece"...that's what I see.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
New Art Auction -- Terrible High School Portraits
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 10:30:02 pm »

Yeah, I get the impression that people buy Onstad's paintings not because they love the paintings but because they like the comic and want to buy an original onstad painting before he sells out and starts making animated tv specials and the value of his work inflates as its quality decreases.

Or rather continues to decrease.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
New Art Auction -- Terrible High School Portraits
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 11:03:17 pm »

if i could paint, i would paint all the time.
i bet it would be really fun,
to paint.

if i painted a lot,
i'd like people to talk about my paintings.
but,
why would they want to talk about me?

i wish i could paint.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
New Art Auction -- Terrible High School Portraits
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 11:47:00 pm »

I love them, especially Beef.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
New Art Auction -- Terrible High School Portraits
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 01:37:52 am »

There will never be another painting like the one of Beef drifting through the starry sky in his nightshirt.   That being said, the Science Diet T-shirt made my pathetic day.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1]   Go Up