Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Supporting" bacon is easy. Who's going to get on the mayonnaise bandwagon with me?

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Christmas Movies!  (Read 9004 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Christmas Movies!
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2005, 05:22:12 pm »

Wombat here, out of touch with popular culture as usual:

1.  Intrigued, I managed to find that Pogues song on-line to listen to, unassisted.  Googling around reminded me that whenever I hear a Pogues song, I feel like I need someone to explain them to me.  Like one site calls them 'folk-punk'.  I don't understand why they aren't just 'folk'. I used to listen to a lot of music called 'folk' and it was pretty much just like this. Can anyone help?

Also their site says that there is a whole BBC documentary about that song.

2.  Edward Scissorhands.  Is this something I should see?  I like movies about weird stuff.  I hate movies about people's feelings.  The ads for this always made it seem like it was about the feelings of weird people, so I could never decide.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Christmas Movies!
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2005, 06:57:43 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
...one site calls them 'folk-punk'.  I don't understand why they aren't just 'folk'. I used to listen to a lot of music called 'folk' and it was pretty much just like this. Can anyone help?

Shane MacGowan drinks. A LOT. Also, he has very few teeth.
Once more unto the wiki-
Quote from: "Wikipedia"
In an article written by MacGowan's then girlfriend Victoria Clarke [1], it was claimed that Shane had further damaged his teeth by eating a copy of the Beach Boys 'Greatest Hits vol. 3' LP whilst under the influence of LSD.


Quote from: "wombat"
Edward Scissorhands.  Is this something I should see?  I like movies about weird stuff.  I hate movies about people's feelings.  The ads for this always made it seem like it was about the feelings of weird people, so I could never decide.


I got a lot more weirdness out of it than I got feelings. Yeah, there was some sappy crap, but it's worth it to get to the shrubbery.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Christmas Movies!
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2005, 07:08:20 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"

Shane MacGowan drinks. A LOT. Also, he has very few teeth.


Hmm, so it's a lifestyle thing?  If he was a vegetarian carrot-juice-imbiber instead of a drunken LP-eater, it'd be folk?  I see.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Christmas Movies!
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2005, 07:48:57 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "Bozack"

Shane MacGowan drinks. A LOT. Also, he has very few teeth.


Hmm, so it's a lifestyle thing?  If he was a vegetarian carrot-juice-imbiber instead of a drunken LP-eater, it'd be folk?  I see.


Unless he was a militant vegan about it.  That's so fuck*ng punk.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Christmas Movies!
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2005, 02:40:22 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
The e-bay price is more than twice the original purchase price of 24.99 too...the tree is unavailable from the distributor.


Ah yes, my SO assured me he only spent $25 on it - what the page fails to mention is that the tree also comes with Linus' blankie to wrap around the base.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up