Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Trains are saying "hello".  All this time, we just snub them.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Artistic help needed  (Read 2173 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Artistic help needed
« on: November 15, 2005, 12:45:56 am »

Can anyone tell me what 'cement fondue' is? I'm building some planter fountains and one of the guides I'm using mentions cement fondue.

Is it just a method of mixing the cement with different kinds of aggregate material?

Thanks in advance!
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Artistic help needed
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 12:50:48 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Can anyone tell me what 'cement fondue' is? I'm building some planter fountains and one of the guides I'm using mentions cement fondue.

Is it just a method of mixing the cement with different kinds of aggregate material?

Thanks in advance!

Cement Fondue is the hardner in the cement.  It's the cementum in the cement.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Artistic help needed
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 12:57:08 am »

so what, is it saying mix up cement with no aggregate at all - no sand or crushed marble, etc., just the cement mix?

I did find some entries for cement fondu talking about what sounds like some special kind of cement. Calcium Aluminate cement? Does that sound familiar?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Artistic help needed
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 12:57:36 am »

Huh. I batched concrete for a while and I've never heard of this one. I'll see if I can ask my dad about this. He invented a new kind of concrete once so he should know these things.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Artistic help needed
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 01:00:32 am »

I'm not an expert on the subject, but when I worked in refractory we used a product called cement fondue and it was the binder in a mixture of vermiculite, aggregate, and fondue.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Artistic help needed
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 01:28:49 am »

It's what you get when you melt cement with kirsch, garlic and some Gruyere.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up