Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I got mad about Robert Fripp's "music" again. I need to go to bed.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: joycean.org!  (Read 7043 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
joycean.org!
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2003, 12:53:44 am »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I was hoping this was all about Joyce DeWitt.


That would be dewittean.com.

And wasn't she mega-hott on 3's Company?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
joycean.org!
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2003, 01:06:55 am »

I googled to find out how she spells her name - for someone who has dropped off the face of the earth, 92,700 replies seems like a lot. Her homepage, unfortunately, is under construction.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
joycean.org!
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2003, 02:15:09 am »

She was the cutest! I want a threesome with me and her and Suzanne Pleshette.

God I feel DIRTY just thinking about being naked in the same state with those two.

I need penance and self flagellation.

I'll start with the self flagellation.

this is going bad places.

Bye.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
joycean.org!
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2003, 03:55:59 am »

Mmmm, give me Suzanne Pleshette and Dawn Wells.

Why is it that the "second bannana" hot chicks on sitcoms are invariably hotter than the hotties the network execs pick?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
joycean.org!
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2003, 05:12:31 am »

I'll definitely second Dawn Wells. Serve her up with the brunette that played the really dumb girl on Petticoat Junction.

I dunno about the second banana theory - it seems to hold, though - I think for every outrageously dumb life-support-system for a pair of boobies there has also to be a cute, mostly regular-looking girl firmly grounded in reality and commonsense. Have you noticed that they seem also often to be scripted as characters from the midwest? We midwesterners are apparently known for cute-but-plain brunettes with good common sense.

I guess I lucked out, I got one with big boobs too... :twisted:

::Edited to include the words JAMES JOYCE, dammit.
Logged

satchel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • View Profile
FW
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2003, 05:33:05 pm »

I’m not even going to mess with Finnegan’s Wake until I have another ten or twenty years of literary knowledge built up to help me interpret it.
Logged
[size=10]Remember when Buffy's mom grounded her, sighing that the world wasn't going to end if Buffy didn't go out with her friends that night? But the world really was going to end![/size]

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
joycean.org!
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2003, 02:16:10 am »

I started Portrait, but never finished it.  I don't know if it's because I am too dum to get it or because I was going through a particularly tough (busy) time and it was actually the tiredness that put me to sleep whenever I picked it up.  I'm going with the second one.  I'll have to give it another try.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
joycean.org!
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2003, 08:59:30 am »

If you couldn't get through Portrait (which is great yet pretty accessible) you'll never make it through the first chapter (episode) of Ulysses.

Think about the two books as companion pieces: Portrait is about a young artist getting his wings, and at the end he takes off.  Ulysses begins with his sudden crash.  There's an Icarus metaphor in there, but of course Ulysses was modelled (loosely) after Homer's Odyssey (about as much as the Coen Bros. film "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" was).

But Ulysses is a comedy.  You just have to have the history of western literary tradition in your back pocket to "get" much of it.  However, even if you just pick up the obvious stuff, the plays on words, the poon-hound Leopold Bloom or the full of himself young twit of Stephen Dedalus (Joyce's alter-ego of sorts) you'll have a good read.

But it's not really something you'd bring to the beach, unless you're a geek like me.

And if you want a decent version of Ulysses, you have to read the one edited by Hans Gabler.  It *does* too matter.

-- Jough

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
joycean.org!
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2003, 11:07:20 pm »

What about the annotated version of Ulysses? I'm reasonably well-read, but I think footnotes would help me "get it". Is that one (don't have the editor's name handy atm) any good?
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
joycean.org!
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2003, 01:37:43 am »

I would advise against any "annotated versions" or anything by "professor" Kidd.

There's a "Rose" edition that is particularly awful.

If you want to follow along with an expert (I'd suggest trying to read through it once on your own first, but chacun a son gout[/a]) then I'd recommend "The New Bloomsday Book" by Harry Blamires.  It's basic enough for anyone to follow and covers enough of the book that you can ruin it for yourself on your first read.  

If you're looking for annotations you're basically leaving yourself open for your intelligence to be insulted, but that's a small price to pay for understanding, I suppose.

satchel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • View Profile
annotated
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2003, 08:50:51 pm »

I myself like annotated editions, but you have to be choosy.
Logged
[size=10]Remember when Buffy's mom grounded her, sighing that the world wasn't going to end if Buffy didn't go out with her friends that night? But the world really was going to end![/size]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up