Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Dude abides.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gene Pitney 1941-2006  (Read 2028 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Gene Pitney 1941-2006
« on: April 06, 2006, 01:56:30 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Gene Pitney 1941-2006
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 09:38:04 pm »

No love for Gene Pitney...  anybody?  Town without Pity, Hello Mary Lou, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...

Nothing?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Gene Pitney 1941-2006
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 10:38:17 pm »

I love me some town without pity, and will play some today in Pitney's honour. 

So yeah, he'll be missed.  Not much more to say about that.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Gene Pitney 1941-2006
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 01:30:20 am »

I thought Town Without Pity was too angsty even when I was angsty, but I like Hello Mary Lou. I'll pour out a glass of whole milk for him.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Gene Pitney 1941-2006
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 02:41:45 am »

Yeah.  A singer I didn't know by name when I've heard him on the radio, but with a voice nearly as beautiful as Roy Orbison's.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Gene Pitney 1941-2006
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 03:05:14 am »

Hello Mary Lou is Ricky Nelson, not Gene Pitney.

But let's give it up for The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Town Without Pity, Only Love Can Break A Heart, and It Hurts to Be in Love.

Shall we?

I will be playing some Pitney for the rest of the evening in tribute.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Gene Pitney 1941-2006
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 03:19:10 am »

Pitney sang it too, apparently.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Gene Pitney 1941-2006
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 04:01:01 am »

Hello Mary Lou is Ricky Nelson, not Gene Pitney.

Pitney wrote it.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Gene Pitney 1941-2006
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 04:24:24 am »

Town Without Pity always set my teeth on edge, sort of.  It's just a little too too, if you know what I mean.

The rest of his work I'm OK with.  Especially the Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.  Good theme song for a good movie.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Gene Pitney 1941-2006
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 04:35:24 am »

The Brian Setzer Orchestra did an amazing cover of Town Without Pity that is on my near-constant rotation.  I think I put it on one of my mix discs for you people.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Gene Pitney 1941-2006
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 11:21:31 am »

Wow, he wrote Only Love Can Break a Heart and It Hurts to be in Love too? Man, he was like proto-emo. Craziness.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Gene Pitney 1941-2006
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 05:18:47 pm »

Seriously, you could use his lyrics interchangeably with many Joy Division songs and NO ONE WOULD KNOW.
Pages: [1]   Go Up