I was reading some of the older strips (ca. Feb 2002) and noticed that a few had been colorized, I think with the intent of having one a week be in color. While I can't say that I'm sad they've reverted to B+W, I kinda like the added surrealty of
Ray living in a pink house or
the general atmosphere of this strip. But I also like the ridiculously stark style of the current strips, and I think that the more atmospheric sequences, ie: Super Secret Ice Cream Parlor, Ray Goes To Hell, Cartilage Head, would have been tough to do in anything but plain black-and-white, or at least a very limited, muted palette. (and yes, I know there was the one color strip when Ray was in Hell)
Not to mention there's just something *wrong* with
Teodor being brown ... he looks like Little Orphan Annie.
But if I were all-powerful and that, I think I'd like to see a little more color in Achewood. It'd be even more interesting to try and match the colors to the overall mood/"star" of the strip. Beef-centric strips would get really muted, pale colors while ones with Ray would get vivid and garish ones, and maybe simple primary colors for Phillipe or "tasteful" ones for Pat? I'd love to have seen the GOF with lots of greys and tans to further convey the desert wasteland atmosphere, or experienced the beautiful blue of Ray's 2000 Flushes party for myself.
Or perhaps I'm just rambling.
Also, has anyone figured out what the hell is on Philippe's head in
this strip? It looks like he has a pink condom attached to his head with the cuff from a dress shirt.