Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Money's 50 Best Jobs!  (Read 6828 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2006, 05:09:43 pm »

  It must be nice to know at 15 what you want your career to be.  I surely didn't.  I think I'm getting pretty close to figuring it out now, if I can just make it pay...

Me too!  Some of us are just late bloomers.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2006, 05:19:49 pm »

Man, that aptitude test gave me "Philologist".  If I have to look it up it's not a real job.

I got "Semiotician."  I wonder what that means.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2006, 05:29:02 pm »

Mine said I should be a scientist or a mechanic. I am a scientist (more or less), and I just changed my oil all by myself yesterday, so I think the test was right!
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2006, 09:06:50 pm »

Hobot-- we can do it together! we can be neighbors! Our spouses will go off to work, and our kids will play together while we drink gin and play bridge.

We have to shadow someone in a career we're interested in next week. I was just dying to ask if I could follow someone's "Homemaker" mother... but... I didn't have the balls.

So instead I'm doing community service. Which will be better, because, you know... i won't be doing it just to be wierd. also: helping people.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2006, 09:21:20 pm »

I think my number one from that test was 'optic lens engineer.'  Whenever it asked "do you like/are you good at math," I chose the maximum positive.
Logged
ACHIEVE

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2006, 11:57:44 pm »

Lawyer was never very high on the list for me.  I think librarian was # 1 (which I considered for some time).  Clergy member was up there, too.  The fuck?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2006, 03:06:01 am »

AW, you just laid out the greatest hinch, making something you like or even love pay off enough to do for a living.

I thought I wanted to be a teacher until I found out from friends who were teaching what they faced, then I ran away. Prolly for the best. I really like most of what I'm doing currently and they just offered me to go from contract to perm, so I guess that's good enough.

As to high school testing, I remember taking the ASVAB (?IIRC?) aptitude tests for the military with my senior class jammed in the cafeteria. I guess I scored really well in the sections the USMC were interested in 'cause I had a standing phone call from a recruiter every week for like a year. He even found me when I moved. Persistent folks, they must've thought I'd make a good kill-bot.

Generally, athletes make decent military types. They're used to working as a group to achieve goals, and they're generally physically fit. Or maybe the recruiter was low on his quota or something.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2006, 04:21:29 am »

'Cause I'm an over-achiever who's also over-compliant to group norms.


Well, you do fit in well around here.  Never a bit of trouble out of you...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up