Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wine: Keep a red and a white on hand at all times. When choosing wines on the wine aisle, use this simple rhyme to make your selection: “Closer to the floor, is meant for the poor / closer to the lights, is more like for if Bono comes over.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: A New Movie Rating System  (Read 6215 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: A New Movie Rating System
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2006, 05:34:52 pm »

I was 3 when Princess Bride came out, but I love it to pieces. Generations can be misleading.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: A New Movie Rating System
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2006, 11:11:43 pm »

I wasn't really "sold" on Hobot completely until I learned that she was a Star Wars fan.  I mean, the whole "I dig both ladies and fellows" sucked me in, of course, but the Star Wars clinched it.

Also my love of Stanley Kubrick, as I recall.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: A New Movie Rating System
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2006, 03:02:10 am »

Oh! Oh!  Stanley Kubric.  I was recently very sad because I was thinking about Stanley Kubric and how movies like his wouldn't get made in today's market - too much of a risk for a big studio, too expensive for a small studio.  A Clockwork Orange is the movie for me.  It is the movie.   

(Also, as a side note, my very first short-film screenplay, "The Restaurant for Lonely People" is currently in preproduction, and will be shooting on Father's day.  Characters include The Three Sisters of Infinite Sorrow, Snake Boy, The She-Hermit, Hansel and Gretel, and of course, The Waiter.  It is very low budget, but has a lot of potential.  All the actors are age 9 - 17 it was cast on Sunday.)
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: A New Movie Rating System
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2006, 03:39:51 am »

Also my love of Stanley Kubrick, as I recall.

And you love Radiohead as I recall.

A Clockwork Orange sits in my DVD player even now.  Awaiting.  Saw Full Metal Jacket over the weekend.  Would have rented 2001 had Blockbuster had it in stock.  I'm binging on Kubrick right now.  I just watched the Shining about 6 months ago, should I see it again?  Yeah, I think so...

Kubrick is the Man.

Hobot, have you seen his early films?  I highly recommend the Killing.

Oddly enough I've never seen Barry Lyndon.  It's in my Netflix queue, I think i'll bump it to the top.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: A New Movie Rating System
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2006, 04:03:20 am »

No love for Doctor Strangelove? Arguably the best cold-war-apocalypse-military-political comedy every produced?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: A New Movie Rating System
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2006, 04:18:36 am »

There is obviously much about Hobot for which to build a case.

I have much love for Dr. Strangelove.  I just watched "Fail Safe" for the first time over the weekend and was amused by the parallels.  Also, Fail Safe was hard-fuck*ng-core.  Good stuff. Like a serious version of Strangelove.  In fact, so much so that the author of the novel sued the dude who wrote the book on which Strangelove was based.

Columbia Pictures, who owned the options to both films (and put them both out in 1964) was the only real winner there (well, other than us, who get to see both great films).

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: A New Movie Rating System
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2006, 04:40:16 am »

No love for Doctor Strangelove? Arguably the best cold-war-apocalypse-military-political comedy every produced?

Yes of course.  I saw that last year as well.  I'll bump it up in the queue as well if it makes you happy Doc.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: A New Movie Rating System
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2006, 07:32:44 pm »

There is obviously much about Hobot for which to build a case.


I find if you cut them into small enough pieces, you don't need a case - a sturdy bag will do the trick.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: A New Movie Rating System
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2006, 08:01:41 pm »

I find if you cut them into small enough pieces, you don't need a case - a sturdy bag will do the trick.

*fingers my jaw stabbing knife briefly*

But for the record you wouldn't even need to go that far, for Mme is very wee.   Not that I've... researched... or anyth- I SHOULD GO! *runs out of room*
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: A New Movie Rating System
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2006, 08:47:49 pm »

Princess Bride on the other hand is goddamn awesome; it is the perfect perfect fairy tale that neither talks down to it's audience or needs to make fun of itself to be enjoyable

I agree and also apply this (perhaps in a different angle) to The Neverending Story, although I understand that not everybody feels the same way.
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: A New Movie Rating System
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2006, 10:51:18 pm »

*fingers my jaw stabbing knife briefly*

But for the record you wouldn't even need to go that far, for Mme is very wee.   Not that I've... researched... or anyth- I SHOULD GO! *runs out of room*

Damn, I miss all the fun now that I've started my internship.  Jough is generous with his compliments, AD thinks about killing and bagging me (NOTE: I prefer being wrapped in a fine oriental rug), and Q is, well... some things never change.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: A New Movie Rating System
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2006, 11:59:34 pm »

(NOTE: I prefer being wrapped in a fine oriental rug)

A tasteful choice, and good for concealing those pesky bloodstains.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: A New Movie Rating System
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2006, 12:17:08 am »

Rug schmug.  Industrial Barrels of Lye leave no evidence!  Or beetles and a compost pile; takes longer but is less conspicuous. 


Er.. I'm just saying. 
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: A New Movie Rating System
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2006, 12:59:47 am »

My reference movie is The Big Lebowski.  A good to great film will score a -174.1 at best.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: A New Movie Rating System
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2006, 01:11:37 am »

Damn, I miss all the fun now that I've started my internship.  Jough is generous with his compliments, AD thinks about killing and bagging me (NOTE: I prefer being wrapped in a fine oriental rug), and Q is, well... some things never change.

I'm not wrecking a fine oriental rug for that purpose. You get a K-mart area rug. The real low pile, itchy kind in pastel pink.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up