Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The bus is crossing Klickitat St., home of Ramona Quimby. It's pretty swank these days. No sign of Nosmo King.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A lady who does 21 accents  (Read 5599 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: A lady who does 21 accents
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 05:14:21 pm »

However, impressions... I do a good Tom Waits, a great Dave Mustaine (which is a lot like Macho Man Randy Savage), the world's greatest Axl Rose, a passable Elvis (which is a lot like Eddie Vedder), a disasterously bad David Bowie and a disasterously good Bob Dylan.
You can do a Tom Waits with a voice that doesn't sound masculine?

I think my voice sounds like Mickey penis, so don't think you're suffering alone.  I've come to accept it, but I used to intentionally try to speak with a lower pitch.  It was tiring.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: A lady who does 21 accents
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 05:19:38 pm »

The key to a Tom Waits impression is to pretend that you are have bronchitis and a hangover at the same time.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: A lady who does 21 accents
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 05:27:54 pm »

I do a wide variety of accents, mostly badly, as I read books to my children. 
I try to do this as well, along with singing (especially in Winnie the Pooh stories), but my daughter doesn't allow me to read in anything but my own voice.  She'll put her hand over my lips and say, "Now Daddy, what have I said?  Use a normal voice!"

I do get to sing Waltzing Matilda in an Aussie accent.  People always ask me to "say something in Australian", but I usually decline since my accent is pretty vestigial unless I've been around some ex-pats.  Then it comes out and embarrasses me.  Stacey can usually tell if I've run across an Aussie at work when I get home at night.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: A lady who does 21 accents
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 05:29:00 pm »

My understanding is that very few people actually like the sound of their own voices. 

I, however, am married to one of those few. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: A lady who does 21 accents
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 05:35:35 pm »

I love to hear myself talk, don't get me wrong.  We get guest speakers and academics in all the time at work, and I'm chatting them up during seminars and presentations and whatnot while my teammates kick me in the shins under the table.  I just don't like hearing it played back.

I think we're all tricked by some sort of biological bass filter or something that makes us sound more sonorous and authoritative to ourselves than actually gets projected.  Possibly bone conduction?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: A lady who does 21 accents
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 06:18:34 pm »

I love to hear myself talk, don't get me wrong.  We get guest speakers and academics in all the time at work, and I'm chatting them up during seminars and presentations and whatnot while my teammates kick me in the shins under the table.  I just don't like hearing it played back.

I think we're all tricked by some sort of biological bass filter or something that makes us sound more sonorous and authoritative to ourselves than actually gets projected.  Possibly bone conduction?

This reminds me of something I've wondered for some time now. Did people know that their own voice doesn't sound to everyone else like it does to them before there were audio recording devices? I suppose you might be able to make some deductions by noticing that the echo of your own voice sounds less like your voice than the echo of someone else's voice sounds like their voice, and identical twins could also notice that their twin's voice doesn't sound like their own, but it seems to me that this wouldn't be a sufficient basis of evidence for the fact that one's own voice sounds different to oneself than it does to everyone else being widely known.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: A lady who does 21 accents
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 07:03:35 pm »

This reminds me of something I've wondered for some time now. Did people know that their own voice doesn't sound to everyone else like it does to them before there were audio recording devices? I suppose you might be able to make some deductions by noticing that the echo of your own voice sounds less like your voice than the echo of someone else's voice sounds like their voice, and identical twins could also notice that their twin's voice doesn't sound like their own, but it seems to me that this wouldn't be a sufficient basis of evidence for the fact that one's own voice sounds different to oneself than it does to everyone else being widely known.

I'm going to guess that failed impressions helped with this discovery. "That sound nothing like Grunk!" "You crazy, me sound exactly like Grunk!"
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: A lady who does 21 accents
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 09:48:18 pm »

wait what was her name again?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: A lady who does 21 accents
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 10:23:47 pm »

and identical twins could also notice that their twin's voice doesn't sound like their own,

Identical twins' voices don't sound identical though. There's a definitely family resemblance between the Technical Staff's voice and his brother's, but I don't think I'd call them identical.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: A lady who does 21 accents
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 11:03:53 pm »

what confuses me is that people always comment that I have a "good radio voice," when to me my voice sounds maybe kind of cool, but not at all the deep awesome radio voice. It is mid-ranged, I think. Obviously I like the way it sounds when conducted through my own bones better than when it's out there in the air, just like everyone does.
I wonder if maybe they mean that the way I talk is good for radio?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: A lady who does 21 accents
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2008, 05:26:05 pm »

The ladyfriend and I will have this thing, where if we klutz something up, she or I will exclaim "WHATAM AH DOIN?!"

Betchoo I can hitchoo withis!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up