Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip  (Read 3013 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
« on: October 05, 2006, 03:33:29 pm »

So, anyone watching this?
I got the pilot, as I was a huge fan of West Wing up until the moment Sorkin left. And by god, I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. For a start, it's one of the funniest things I've seen on TV in a long while, it's far easier than West Wing, but also has as much subtlety of writing and performance.
Also, while I was very skeptical about Matt Perry taking a lead role in anything, he assuaged that doubt within about two minutes of appearing. He is literally brilliant in this. Entirely un-Chandler for a start!
The subsequent couple of episodes only solidified my faith in it as well.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 04:01:42 pm »

I've seen the first two now, with the third episode on my PDA for the train ride home.

I like it.  I'll watch it for a little bit.  The commercials made it look like a comedy, and while it's funny, it's sort of a drama.  It's really smart and sharp, but not so smart that you have to think about it.  I like it, but if it was cancelled I don't think I'd really miss it.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 04:49:34 pm »

I've seen the first two now, with the third episode on my PDA for the train ride home.

I like it.  I'll watch it for a little bit.  The commercials made it look like a comedy, and while it's funny, it's sort of a drama.  It's really smart and sharp, but not so smart that you have to think about it.  I like it, but if it was cancelled I don't think I'd really miss it.


I'm assuming that it'll be like SportsNight which had the same "dramedy" issues. With a few exceptions (Jeremy's interview in Ep. 1) it was only funny once you knew the characters so it required a bit of a time investment to be really entertaining. Much like Achewood, now that I think about it.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 09:25:14 am »

This kind of sounds like Arrested Development.  All I am trying to say by this is that it will probably be cancelled.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 01:10:47 pm »

This kind of sounds like Arrested Development.

Not even remotely. Unless you just mean that it's really good and it will be cancelled.
It got 13.4 million viewers for the first episode, and was down 12% on that for the second. That still sounds rather positive to me though, so with any luck... I mean, you have to remember West Wing was still getting fairly good viewing figures even when it had turned to shit.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 03:55:02 pm »

Third episode was the best one yet.

I'm hooked now.  This is a great show.  The characters are so well defined even at the beginning here.  Actually, I think we had a pretty good grasp of who everyone was by the end of the first episode that these subsequent shows are pretty much adding subtlety.  Good stuff.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 04:21:23 pm »

I have been trying my best to ignore this show, and also this thread.  I know I would like it if I watched it... but it's Chandler.  I just can't go there.  I'm sorry.

Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 07:34:54 pm »

I have been trying my best to ignore this show, and also this thread.  I know I would like it if I watched it... but it's Chandler.  I just can't go there.  I'm sorry.

As I say, the best thing (well  not wuite) about it, is that he's not even nearly Chandler. If he doesn't win an award for his performance in this, I will be most surprised.

Oh and, Jough... I'm glad it got a hold of you as it has me, I think it may have been the Holly Hunter impression that raelly dug the hooks into me.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 10:09:10 pm »

I really like how the characters talk, because while they're stylized (it is a TV show after all) they're very close to real conversations, just compacted into all of the interesting bits.

I hope it does well ratings-wise because smart shows with little action in them tend to drop off the dial very very quickly.

Less good but also worthwhile for the dialogue is Jimmy Woods's new show, Shark.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 10:48:46 pm »

Damn it.  The last thing I need is to watch more TV.  You boys are tempting me... fine.  I'll check it out.  I hope you're happy.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 01:55:37 am »

It's no SportsNight (yet) but I'm digging it. I just hope the christian storyline doesn't last for the entire season. I'm fine with it being an arc but it'll get old.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 05:29:41 am »

I was a little disappointed that we never got to see the Crazy Christians sketch, or any of them other than the lame G&S opening, but I guess if the characters are going to talk about how brilliant something is then it sets the bar pretty high, and I'm sure the writers don't want to have to write two shows (the show and the show-within-a-show) although it could be good that way too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up