Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Making money from art is not vulgar. Art is a commodity. It makes people feel something. It raises the greater sum of human happiness. It increases the gaiety of the nation. It has a value. -John Allison

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Subscriber Only Archives Back Up  (Read 3036 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Subscriber Only Archives Back Up
« on: August 07, 2006, 04:09:26 am »

The title basically explains it.  The subscription only based part of Achewood is back, on the attack.

I'm debating whether or not to sign up, I've been spending too much money on stuff lately.  I missed the subscription stuff the first time around, and I would like to know if anyone thinks it is worth the money.

Discuss?
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

JorgeMacD

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Subscriber Only Archives Back Up
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 06:12:57 am »

I tried to subscribe, but PayPal wouldn't cooperate.

Anyone else having a problem?
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Subscriber Only Archives Back Up
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 06:19:57 am »

I knew that getting high speed intarwub at my place would only serve to open a bottomless vortex in my wallet. The internet is trying to take my last dollar. Fuck.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Subscriber Only Archives Back Up
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 02:06:05 pm »

Onstad finds out that children are expensive: Film at 11!*



* That being said, I got one for at least the first time around.  I never had walkin' money when they were first up so you know, now's as good a time as any.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Subscriber Only Archives Back Up
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 02:24:22 pm »

"Gee, how can I earn some extra coin without having to do any new work...  Can I monetize the blogs somehow?  Oh, I know, I'll dig up all that old Serializer stuff that wasn't worth the $3/month to begin with, add two or three lines about a few of them, and then charge the same people who read that stuff before to read it again!  I mean, Star Wars is coming out again on DVD, so why not a new Achewood edition?  Its genius is its simplicity."

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Subscriber Only Archives Back Up
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 11:20:27 pm »

The dude produces a comic for free, IMHO... the more power to him if he can come up with some way to make a living at it. I have all the books, and one shirt, but like Q said, chilluns are expensive.

Logged

Fooker

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -18
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 193
  • domesticated troll
    • View Profile
Re: Subscriber Only Archives Back Up
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 01:10:38 am »

I bought access at something like 1 am or maybe 2 am EST this morning.

I am not really dissapointed although it is not something I would have spent money on a year ago. It is cool to me to be just a bit above poor now. I could have done with maybe some more stuff but hey, free comic.

He should collect all of the blogs, order them together chronologically with all the necessary accompanying strips and a few unpublished rays places and put it out as a book. I am ashamed to admit that I would buy two.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 01:14:30 am by Fooker »
Logged
NONSENSICAL STATEMENT INVOLVING PLANKTON

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Subscriber Only Archives Back Up
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 03:45:24 am »

I had paid for it for a while back when they were first run.   I tossed my subscription when I had gone a month or so without updates. 

I understand not complaining about free stuff, but when I'm paying for it, that kinda sucked.   There was more content at serializer too, but I just couldn't get into it.   It might have been the left to right scroll of the page that just set me off.   It was supposed to be innovative and such, but, it was just annoying.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Subscriber Only Archives Back Up
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 03:55:45 am »

After having read it in a mere 45 minutes I'm sort of... meh.  I mean 12 dollars isn't a whole lot of money, but then again I bought access for a year and I'm already done with it in the same day?  I guess I should learn to ration?
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Subscriber Only Archives Back Up
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 07:38:19 am »

After having read it in a mere 45 minutes I'm sort of... meh.  I mean 12 dollars isn't a whole lot of money, but then again I bought access for a year and I'm already done with it in the same day?  I guess I should learn to ration?

Yeah, that's kind of my thought. I'll certainly subscribe, eventually, but the "yearly subscription" model seems like something of a crock when the page implies heavily that there will never, ever be any new content. If Onstad isn't going to be posting things regularly enough to make a subscription sensible, why not move it to a "twelve bucks for permanent access" model and do it as some kind of, I dunno, online book? (Or hell, package it as a real dead-tree book and charge twelve bucks for it. 76 installments is reasonably meaty.) For some reason the concept of paying per year for content that will never change just seems manipulative.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Subscriber Only Archives Back Up
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 12:58:41 pm »

Yeah -  a subscription implies a promise of new material.  I would buy a book of the stuff in a minute, but this doesn't make sense.  And I am one who will usually send him money at the drop of a hat, you know?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Subscriber Only Archives Back Up
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 01:13:46 pm »

Yeah.. I cancelled the subscription already.  I mean, I read it.  Okay great.  Why keep paying for nothing new?  That's like being charged by the power company for the electricity I used last year all over again.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.
Pages: [1]   Go Up