Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You might, rabbit

You might.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Uno spuntino - a snack in Sardinia (Casu marzu: cheese filled with worms)  (Read 6259 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Uno spuntino - a snack in Sardinia (Casu marzu: cheese filled with worms)
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 10:54:02 pm »

I guess what I am saying is that...

I understand that tiny bugs are involved in the creation of some foods.

My desire is to be able to pretend that they aren't there.

In a normal cheese... or yogurt... or what have you... their prescence is invisible.

Blue cheese invokes, to my palate, the idea of entire veins of tiny bugs through the entire device... so thick in their bugginess that the colour is completely visible. This may not be the truth of the matter but there we are. It seems to be as though it contains the canals of Mars, full of blue bugs.

"See no evil" is a huge culinary rule for me.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Uno spuntino - a snack in Sardinia (Casu marzu: cheese filled with worms)
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 02:21:14 pm »

"See no evil" is a huge culinary rule for me.

Witchetty grub for littlefalls on isle 5...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Uno spuntino - a snack in Sardinia (Casu marzu: cheese filled with worms)
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 02:24:16 pm »

Blue cheese invokes, to my palate, the idea of entire veins of tiny bugs through the entire device... so thick in their bugginess that the colour is completely visible. This may not be the truth of the matter but there we are. It seems to be as though it contains the canals of Mars, full of blue bugs.

Oh, for fuck sake.  Thanks for ruining blue cheese for me.  Seriously.  That imagery is burned into my brain now.  God damn it. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

coldfrog

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 30
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 165
  • From Shakespeare's Lights upon Friday's Eve
    • View Profile
    • Some crappy pictures I do sometimes
Re: Uno spuntino - a snack in Sardinia (Casu marzu: cheese filled with worms)
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 09:30:30 pm »

I recently went to a beer and cheese dinner (not wine and cheese) where the cheese course consisted of unpasteurized Blue, Unpasteurized goat cheese, and an awesomely nutty cheddar.  Except for the cheddar, there was hell of mold running all through the cheese...  and it was AWESOME.
I guess the point I'm trying to make is, cheese is and always will be the most disgusting food available, and yet it is still SO GOOD.  So don't let a little blue Blue get you down.  Just eat it anyway because it is delicious.

Also, if you are anywhere near Delaware, I recommend the Doggiraffe Head brewery in Rehobeth for all your beer needs.  And also on certain Sundays, your eating needs also.
Logged
Let no man put asunder what I believe is thee proper attyre for footballe.

kellichou

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 90
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 87
    • View Profile
Re: Uno spuntino - a snack in Sardinia (Casu marzu: cheese filled with worms)
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2007, 07:53:31 pm »

acid (lactic, acetic, etc) or ethanol,  and CO2 which makes tangy, boozy, or puffy things (respectively) happen to the foodstuffs.

A tiny can for you!  Three cheers for food preservation and especially "tangy, boozy, or puffy things (respectively)" happening to our food.
Logged

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: Uno spuntino - a snack in Sardinia (Casu marzu: cheese filled with worms)
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2007, 08:26:46 am »

I cannot find the other one... the one that is similar, except they just put the giraffe in a sack and leave them out back of their house.

Sorry to get off the topic of cheese, but I think this may be hakarl, or putrefied shark meat. This is how it's made. If you don't like eating chewy ammonia-flavored pieces of stinky old meat, then you probably won't like hakarl.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Uno spuntino - a snack in Sardinia (Casu marzu: cheese filled with worms)
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2007, 12:58:09 pm »

Sorry to get off the topic of cheese, but I think this may be hakarl, or putrefied shark meat. This is how it's made. If you don't like eating chewy ammonia-flavored pieces of stinky old meat, then you probably won't like hakarl.

It's one of the few things I've seen Bourdain actively avoid. That and the Danish buffet of nasty bits.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Uno spuntino - a snack in Sardinia (Casu marzu: cheese filled with worms)
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2007, 05:07:17 pm »

My clock radio just woke me up to Diane Rehm interviewing a guy about how deliberate infection with live diseases is the future of immunology, or something like that.  He's promoting his new book, Survival of the Sickest.

I would have a comment about this re: moldy cheese/sharks and suchlike but I have to go to class, so I'll just post this here at random instead and cross my fingers.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up