Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That the second best way to sound like a noob is to ask why robot and pants are censored?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dancing about architecture?  (Read 1251 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Dancing about architecture?
« on: September 29, 2006, 01:25:42 am »

This is a cool thing.  It's on the front page of Fark at the moment, so they're probably getting horked on their bandwidth, but I'm interested in what the music lovers herein think of it.

The Shape of Song.

Check out the method page too, which explains more clearly what you're seeing.

Some of my favorites have been A Brandenburg Concerto, Monk's Round Midnight and Freebird.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Dancing about architecture?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 01:34:10 am »

The Phillip Glass is pretty cool too.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Dancing about architecture?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 07:49:55 pm »

Guess I'm the only one who thought it was cool.  Oh well.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Dancing about architecture?
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 08:02:21 pm »

It's pretty interesting.  I'm not getting any sound from it, though.

I'm not sure it's *useful* for analysing music, but the images it creates are pretty and is a good visual tool for demonstrating musical structure.  I bet this site becomes hugely popular with music education classes.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Dancing about architecture?
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 08:37:29 pm »

It's pretty interesting.  I'm not getting any sound from it, though.

I'm not sure it's *useful* for analysing music, but the images it creates are pretty and is a good visual tool for demonstrating musical structure.  I bet this site becomes hugely popular with music education classes.

I think I'd bet against you.  I really can't decide whether I like this or not, it looks interesting, but its method kind of ignores the most integral parts of song structure.
Logged
ACHIEVE

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Dancing about architecture?
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 10:41:15 pm »

Came across this a while back via the Music Thing blog, only I can't try it out as I refuse to have Java on my machine.
I may take a look at it on my other machine which does, but Pro Tools, and fifteen other things, don't seem to get on well with Java (Which broke my friend graphics card the other day as well).
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: [1]   Go Up