Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I haven't had a haircut since July. I'm hoping to, "wait it out."

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oct.25.2006 - Put butter on what I said!  (Read 10345 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Caustic Armadillo

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Oct.25.2006 - Put butter on what I said!
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2006, 11:42:41 am »

I liked this story arc.
Then again, I don't mind if the story unrolls at a slow pace, it's more entertaing to read in the long run.
Logged

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: Oct.25.2006 - Put butter on what I said!
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2006, 12:23:15 pm »

Something else I love about this one.

After undergoing the sort of painful and unexpected trauma that would have most people gibbering in shock and self-pity, Ray's response is to get bitchy about dinner.

Dude is definitely a cat.
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back

pubdoggy

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 89
  • R. Smuckles publicity shot c. 2002
    • View Profile
    • Simon Whitehead Photography
Re: Oct.25.2006 - Put butter on what I said!
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2006, 02:19:39 pm »

WAIT!

Steak suggests Beef

Snout suggests Pig

No?

I reckon a Cow'd be pissed off if you suggested she had a snout?
Logged
Satori must be something just the same...

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Oct.25.2006 - Put butter on what I said!
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2006, 04:14:09 pm »

I thought elephant.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

vivouk

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 19
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 88
    • View Profile
Re: Oct.25.2006 - Put butter on what I said!
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2006, 04:25:04 pm »

Ray will be so hungry that animal anatomy is sort of unimportant to him. He just wants fed.
Logged

stringph

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 26
  • I been meanin' to learn a little geometry
    • View Profile
Re: Oct.25.2006 - Put butter on what I said!
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2006, 10:04:32 am »


I think the best way to prevent 'ambient dust or grease' from entering a kettle would be to put the lid on it.

The 'deposit' forms because your water contains quantities of calcium ions (or possibly magnesium). The solubility of such depends strongly on temperature, and reaches nil at boiling point, when they are precipitated out of solution in the form of calcium carbonate, i.e. chalk.

If you store the kettle with water inside, it will slowly evaporate and probably cause a few more ions to precipitate over the course of the day. But compared to what happens when you boil the thing, this will be negligible. In other words you're screwed either way. Mr. Bear is propagating an old wives' tale...

If you can run to the expense of a water filter or softener, this will help significantly. However, there is one very easy way of removing the chalky deposit, if you happen to dislike the prospect of stalagmites in your kettle: Vinegar. Cheapest vinegar you can find in the store, one part to ten parts water, fill the kettle and let it stand overnight, next morning the chalk will just wipe away. If not, repeat with one part to five parts water. Don't forget to rinse.
Logged

MrCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 18
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 122
    • View Profile
Re: Oct.25.2006 - Put butter on what I said!
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2006, 01:00:41 pm »

Touamb - come for the Achewood bashing, stay for the Education.
Logged
I'LL BE DEAD BY THE TIME THEY SLAP THE CUFFS ON

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Oct.25.2006 - Put butter on what I said!
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2006, 01:36:39 pm »

While we're at it, is there a miracle way to get tea stains out of mugs, aside from scrubbing hard?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pubdoggy

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 89
  • R. Smuckles publicity shot c. 2002
    • View Profile
    • Simon Whitehead Photography
Re: Oct.25.2006 - Put butter on what I said!
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2006, 01:46:18 pm »

While we're at it, is there a miracle way to get tea stains out of mugs, aside from scrubbing hard?

Bleach.

or white vinegar - depends on who'll be drinking from it next
Logged
Satori must be something just the same...

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Oct.25.2006 - Put butter on what I said!
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2006, 01:52:42 pm »

Not only does it seem icky to put bleach on my dishes - it seems to me that then you've still got tea residue, it's just turned white, you know?  I mean, if it comes off when I scrub, there is stuff there. I don't just want to take the color out of the stuff.

Well, I have the day off and it's about to rain, there's nothing else fun to do.  I suppose I can fill some tea cups with vinegar while I wait for today's comic to post.

You know I am not so sure I wanted to know that I am drinking chalk when I don't boil the water to precipitate it out.  Sometimes this Education is not all it's cracked up to be.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Oct.25.2006 - Put butter on what I said!
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2006, 04:36:14 pm »

Yes, I too want to know about the tea residue.  I saw a program on PBS several years ago where a dude was giving all kinds of helping hints about such things.  He put something in a heavily stained teacup and the stains just melted away.  Of course my memory is such that I couldn't remember what it was he put in the cup to make this happen.  I also can't remember his name or the name of his program.  So now not only am I still stricken with tea stained cups, but also the knowledge that there is a simple solution (pun, get it) just out of the reach of my memory.  Sigh.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pubdoggy

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 89
  • R. Smuckles publicity shot c. 2002
    • View Profile
    • Simon Whitehead Photography
Re: Oct.25.2006 - Put butter on what I said!
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2006, 04:45:07 pm »

My reply (well - the white vinegar bit) was entirely serious and based in fact. Try it.
Logged
Satori must be something just the same...

stringph

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 26
  • I been meanin' to learn a little geometry
    • View Profile
Re: Oct.25.2006 - Put butter on what I said!
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2006, 06:32:40 pm »


Hell, tap water is full of bacteria and phytoplankton (have I got that right?) and suchlike, which maybe you kill by boiling, but don't do a healthy person the least bit of harm.

I don't think calcium ions are so bad either. Some bottled waters make a point of them.

Returning to Ray, where is that spider bite? Logically it should either be on his hindermost side, or in the thong area, and since Philippe has seen it, I have to vote for the former.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up