Well, "all moved in" is subjective, I suppose.
I flew in on Thursday and had a futon, folding table, a couple of folding chairs, and some Peapod household items (paper towels, toilet paper, etc.) delivered the same day, along with my PC and stuff. FedEx broke open the box containing my power supplies and cables for some of my computer stuff so I guess I'll have to file an insurance claim.
Thursday night I went to Bed, Bath, & Beyond and bought a little more than I could carry to get some essentials - a lamp, a pillow, some kitchen stuff. The pillow that I got was "ultra firm" and felt fine in the store, but they weren't kidding. It's about 12" thick and hard as a rock when you're trying to sleep on it. First order of business today will be to get a softer pillow. I think my head is contorting to the contours of the pillow rather than the other way around.
I got the worst Chinese food I've ever had that night (from China Doll on Wells if anyone is ever in Chicago and wants to know a Chinoise joint to avoid) and went to bed exhausted at around 9:30PM (CST).
Friday I worked all day and went out that (last) night to see one of my cow-orker's band (they're really good - kind of a Morpine meets the Go-Gos thing) and met up with a few other people from work and their friends. We closed a couple of Wrigleyville bars and ended up at Nick's Uptown which is a great after-hours bar. I'm still not hip about why some bars have to close at 1:30AM and others can stay open until 4AM, but whatever.
Anyway, I think I drank more last night than I have in years, and I'll be suffering for it for days. My liver is kicking me in protest this morning.
So far, a nice time in Chicago.
Today I return the futon cover that didn't fit, get another pillow, do some food shopping, and pray that my personal belongings arrive intact. I have only the computer stuff that I shipped and whatever I carried with me or bought here.
So far "unpacking" means taking things out of bags or boxes and laying them in piles on the floor where I can find things. I'm not even really using my bedroom for anything but storage right now. I'll get a bed next week (I'm sleeping on the futon right now, which doubles as my sofa, and is really comfortable). And some shelving and drawers and stuff.
Also, do guys use the phrase "I just moved here yesterday" as a pick-up line very often, because no one believed me. "Oh, you did not. I don't believe you."
Oh, also, having an address in the Gold Coast always gets a nice raised eyebrow when I tell someone where I live. Clean livin'.
Photos later.