Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.  (Read 6194 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2007, 09:05:02 pm »

Now that I think about it, hot damn, that arc was good.

It was a good arc.  In particular, that one strip with the vomiting man reminded me of The Saragossa Manuscript.  It lost a little bit of the surrealist vibe after Onstad started to add dialogue, though, but I suppose that had to give way to plot for the story to have any resolution.  I had much the same issue with the end of the Cartilage Head arc.

I believe that "gizzerunds" may redeem entirely this otherwise pretty damn irritating slang/fake slang formation. It is basically like treasure, even if it will never be used again.

Well, that's what I get for assuming the insolence and braggadocio of a Rap person.  I really fucked up this time.  V completely hates rap.  It looks like I'm in Trouble yet again.

Maybe I did take it a bit too far, but you're absolutely right about the gizzerunds.  Such a word must be preserved for posterity.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2007, 10:26:40 pm »

my favorite: I read a big article about how Snoop stole that whole shtick from the Yay Area. Apparently the Bay is known for its innovative slang, which is often plundered by other rappers.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2007, 11:03:20 pm »

I thought I remembered reading somewhere about how that particular slang construction dated back to late '70s/early '80s funk, but I couldn't find the source.  After a fruitless search through my slang dictionary, I realized to my chagrin that it was just something I had read on Wikipedia.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 12 October 2006 - We doin' this.
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2007, 11:56:53 pm »

I was thinking of this article.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up