Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Note how white pepper, ground freshly into one's hand, makes it smell as though you've been rubbing your open palm around on a horse's anus.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: February 28, 2007 - Am I craving chinese food because I'm dying?  (Read 4372 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: February 28, 2007 - Am I craving chinese food because I'm dying?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2007, 05:39:11 pm »

This is me.  This is me to a terrifyingly accurate degree.  Down to the fuck*ng peanut butter and coding.

Are you depressed? Yes / yes.

Onstad definitely knows someone who is a depressed computer programmer.  It might have been him before he got into doing online comics.  This is so frighteningly accurate.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: February 28, 2007 - Am I craving chinese food because I'm dying?
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2007, 11:14:45 pm »

If I had that font it would probably be quicker to make them from scratch.  But I don't. 

I don't recall anyone ever trying to suss out the font that Onstad uses. Doesn't seem like it would be that hard.

It's not perfect, but I think bolded Arabic Transparent is a good substitute for the titles (like the ROAST BEEF DECISION MAKING FLOWCHART header).
Logged

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: February 28, 2007 - Am I craving chinese food because I'm dying?
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 03:59:57 am »

Are the questions Beef talking to himself or are they Molly gently prodding him toward non-total-dysfunction, or has their relationship gotten to the point where that isn't really a meaningful distinction?
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Re: February 28, 2007 - Am I craving chinese food because I'm dying?
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 04:30:36 am »

*standing ovation*

I'm so ordering one of these. Philippe's flowchart could make it more depressing or make it happier, depending on one's prevailing mood at the time, and/or depending on if you're a glass-half-full or glass-half-empty person. I've read thist strip several times and had a different reaction to Philippe's flowchart every time. I think it's a good reminder that sometimes you have to step back and just look at things simply, not get bogged down in the details, and say "Yes!" to life. There is something very Zen about Philippe's approach sometimes, which is a great contrast to Beef's issues. Sometimes I want to say, "Look, Beef! There is your salvation, right there, that little retarded otter!" But then I think that would just make Beef want to kill himself.

Yeah... this is going up on my desk at work.
Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: February 28, 2007 - Am I craving chinese food because I'm dying?
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2007, 05:18:22 am »

So. I do a thing in real life where sometimes I am jokingly mean to people?

Last night my friend Jessica dreamt that I was the TA in her Spanish class, and that at the end of her big mid-term presentation I asked "Are you Retarded? Seriously?"
And then she started crying and ran out of the room, etc. I think her chart is a little beyond "hi! yes!" though.

Also: I love this strip a lot.

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: February 28, 2007 - Am I craving chinese food because I'm dying?
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2007, 02:53:28 pm »

Are the questions Beef talking to himself or are they Molly gently prodding him toward non-total-dysfunction, or has their relationship gotten to the point where that isn't really a meaningful distinction?

It's a representation of Beef's internal thought processes.
Logged

Omegatron

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21
    • View Profile
Re: February 28, 2007 - Am I craving chinese food because I'm dying?
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2007, 05:22:21 pm »

Are the questions Beef talking to himself or are they Molly gently prodding him toward non-total-dysfunction, or has their relationship gotten to the point where that isn't really a meaningful distinction?

I need a Molly.  :-/
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: February 28, 2007 - Am I craving chinese food because I'm dying?
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2007, 05:59:49 pm »

There are times when my girlfriend is pretty much exactly my Molly, all calmly guiding me through my madness to points where I am not-completely-despairing and I can at least try and open the blinds.

But unlike Molly and Beef, it cuts both ways.

For all the ways she helps me through my crippling anxiousness, I'm able to temper her... manic-depressive tendency to wanna quit jobs when one thing goes wrong, explain to her that her mother's bourgeious Long Island values aren't what she should be judged by, hold her back from beating the shit out of ladies who are mean to their kids in stores, that sort of thing.

Combine that with my younger brother's Sherlock Holmesian obsessive-compulsive hermitude and you've got one hell of an interesting apartment.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: February 28, 2007 - Am I craving chinese food because I'm dying?
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2007, 02:34:46 am »

One of my friends worries that her relationship is like that... she thinks that her boyfriend is like Molly, constantly being tasked to calm her down. I told her I didn't really see them that way, but insecurities are a hard thing to shake.

Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up