Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So... uh...  (Read 3139 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
So... uh...
« on: October 08, 2003, 08:21:52 pm »

Blogs: good thing or bad thing? Discuss.

Seriously, I figure we might as well use this forum for something. How do you feel about blogs in general? The blogoculture? LiveJournal, shrieking teenybopper beast that it is? Like blogs? Hate 'em? Got one?
Logged

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
So... uh...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 08:27:42 pm »

My blog is just one more damn thing to feel guilty about.
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
So... uh...
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2003, 08:35:39 pm »

I remember thinking, "oh neat a blog!" then trying to read it, then either becoming annoyed by the person and their ego, or their failure to grasp basic grammer or spelling, or have become so bored that I could read no more.  All my encounters Blogs have made me feel this way.   Even those of people I adore.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
So... uh...
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2003, 10:37:57 pm »

I'm with Asherdan. Only compulsive people are forced to read every word and then criticize someone's effort when they are done. But there is some pretty worthy stuff out there, if you kiss enough toads you will find a prince(ss).

Blogging isn't ALL that different than posting to a board like this, though, is it? Here we are probably a little more economical with the language, and it is more fluid and dynamic but, for the most part, we all write something expecting/hoping that someone reads it. Sort of like a Blog but with a little less exposure and, in many cases, pretentiousness.

I tried to have a blog shared by three or four people. They were all interesting, intellectual types. Only two of us would post to it, though, so it was pointless to me and I killed it. I still think it is kind of a neat idea to digest the issues of the day amongst four people with very differing views (I had a radical Methodist minister, a seminary dropout who has advanced degrees in Ethics, an artistic hippie-type single mom and me, the libertarian civil servant. It's sad that the AWESOME phone and e-mail conversations I have with all these people didn't translate into an interesting and mosly literate blog.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
So... uh...
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2003, 11:27:43 pm »

I tried to blog, but I'm just not built for it.

But I keep people posted about my stuff here:

http://jough.com

Moveable Type represent, yo.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
So... uh...
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2003, 10:48:39 am »

I have a few blogs that I read on a regular basis... I used to read anil dash, and a few more that I'm too tired to think of now, but now I read

izzle pfaff,
mimi smarty#####,
my life as an american gladiator
and, of course, The Bleat
Logged
goose means greedy

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
So... uh...
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2003, 02:59:00 pm »

I have a blog, but it's mostly links to other people's blogs, when they write something I think in a much more coherent and interesting fashion than I ever could.

At least a couple of people read it on a regular basis.  One of them is my mom.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
So... uh...
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2003, 03:54:00 pm »

I only read a couple of blogs, and fairly rarely.
Namely, the William Gibson blog, 'cause he's an interesting guy.
The Lawrence Lessig blog, which is easily found (though I may be kind and link them), and the Snoop Doggy Blog occasionally, which is just funny.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
So... uh...
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2003, 04:47:53 pm »

Pedro reads Gibson's blog, and occasionally sends me a link.  I'm not a blog reader outside of the Bleat.  I don't even read Pedro's live journal.  I don't know how I manage to get through the Bleat every day -- habit, most likely -- but mostly it just seems like getting involved in a soap opera in its seventh season.  Why put that much effort into something you're not already missing in your life?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
So... uh...
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2003, 05:03:31 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
I don't know how I manage to get through the Bleat every day -- habit, most likely -- but mostly it just seems like getting involved in a soap opera in its seventh season.  Why put that much effort into something you're not already missing in your life?


I know what you mean. It's like how I feel when I hang around on a forum for a while then consider signing up. It's like, after this long it feels odd jumping into someone elses conversation.
Hence I'm only really a member of about 3 forums now. Plus I'd never really manage to keep up to date with any more.
This is the only one I really pay any attention to now. Shucks, you people...!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: [1]   Go Up