Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit? - Nabu

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hot Fuzz  (Read 1693 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Hot Fuzz
« on: April 21, 2007, 02:47:32 pm »

I just saw Hot Fuzz yesterday for the low, low matinée price of $7.50. This movie is absolutely brilliant.

I had heard that the movie was close, but not quite as good as Shaun of the dead. Myself, I thought it was every bit as good, and I loved Shaun of the Dead - and not just because it's the only movie with my first name in the title. The writing is very similar, but this movie spreads the love around a bit more. What I mean by that is, most of Shaun of the Dead's humor came from the interactions between a very small group of friends, but this movie's got a much larger set of interesting characters to draw the comedy from. That and the deep well of American action films that are just asking to be parodied.

Anyways, I read recently that the studio might be giving this movie the Children of Men treatment (read: releasing it on roughly 3 screens nationwide), which is an absolute travesty and a sin against God and Man.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Hot Fuzz
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 03:40:32 pm »

I saw it a couple weeks back for the low low price of "giving my friend who reviews movies for a website a ride into Hollywood for a press screening whereupon I was his plus-one" and... hell, I think it was better than "Shaun".

This may be because I've just... seen a lot more buddy-cop movies than zombie films in my day.

But... man... first two acts are just a very solid British comedy?

And then act three is just GODDAMN COMPLETELY AMAZING.

I will also see the action film "The Condemned" the same way, for giving my carless buddy Mark a ride into Hollywood from the Valley. I hope Stone Cold Steve Austin does not beat me up for laughing through the entire film because... man... I have never laughed harder at a trailers than I did for the trailer to "The Condemned".

Also, since I saw that trailer before "Aqua Teen" in a theatre where I was the only person not drunk or stoned, the whole crowd started cheering my laughter and it was pretty goddamned rad.

"The Condemned" might reach, I daresay, "The Guardian" levels of bad.

It might be as bad as "Hot Fuzz" is good. Oh man, I am looking forward to this.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Hot Fuzz
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 08:48:58 pm »

Personally, I would to hope to get stunnerd, and would bet you feel the same.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Hot Fuzz
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 11:47:11 pm »

I saw it a couple of weeks ago and thought it if not better than definitely funnier than Shaun. Definitely a more explicit comedy.
I embarassed my friends by letting out what can only be described as a squeal of pure joy at the line 'Forget it... it's sandford.", I was the only one in my group that got the joke.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Hot Fuzz
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 05:02:09 pm »

I just saw Hot Fuzz yesterday for the low, low matinée price of $7.50. This movie is absolutely brilliant.

Holy shit, I've been living in the sticks for too long. SEVEN-FIFTY for a matinee movie? That's insane.
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Hot Fuzz
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 05:43:37 pm »

Holy shit, I've been living in the sticks for too long. SEVEN-FIFTY for a matinee movie? That's insane.

Welcome to San Francisco.
Pages: [1]   Go Up