Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!  (Read 4507 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2007, 04:02:14 pm »

Cammy, Ashby, GUARD THE HOUSE! Mr. Kitty, GUARD THE CARPORT. We'll be back."

When Stacey and I go somewhere, leaving my 17-year old niece at home, I'll frequently say "Ok Petunia, you're in charge."  The fluffy white dog then burrows under the couch.  Elizabeth (the niece) rarely finds this amusing.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 04:09:08 pm »

Being a bit of a toker myself I can never express enough awe at how spot-on Onstad's grass-fueled dialogue is: "Like he wonders if he cares about anything. But in a good way". Very, very good... I can't even express how much I'm digging this arc already.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

isunklower

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12
  • EXTREME
    • View Profile
Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007, 05:44:07 pm »

Apparently when Ray is sufficiently stoned, he becomes aware of an unseen audience unable to hear his speech audibly, and will therefore pronounce some words phonetically for their benefit.  How polite of him!
Logged
if it is regular yellow lemonade / my dong goes all flaccid

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2007, 06:49:38 am »

um.

so what you're saying is that you tease your cats about Achewood being real, and they respond to you with speech impediments, and then you tell them to make you tea.

Dude, all my cats talk to me. This isn't anything new or spurred by Achewood.

However, the Milan speech impediment is a joke related to Achewood. Ray responded in his Ray's Place column when I wrote him a letter from me and Milan saying "This is a big fuck you from all the Scottish Folds in the world. Love, linnea & Milan." Remember the "Scottish Folds got this real retarded accent like the deaf priest from the Princess Bride."

They gotta pay the kittyrent, so that's why I try to make them do stuff, like make tea, clean the apartment, or get me some beer.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2007, 01:15:18 am »

When my sister and I were younger, Mom would wake up long before we did during summer vacation, and leave us chore lists. One day, after I protested that the dog and cat never got chores, she left two for them. Pickles's chores were "bark at intruders" and "poop outside." Tiger's was "don't shed."

Tiger was as good at her chores as I was at mine.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2007, 03:36:09 am »

When my sister and I were younger, Mom would wake up long before we did during summer vacation, and leave us chore lists. One day, after I protested that the dog and cat never got chores, she left two for them. Pickles's chores were "bark at intruders" and "poop outside." Tiger's was "don't shed."

Tiger was as good at her chores as I was at mine.

HEE! That's awesome. Tiny can. Lenny's daily chores include being nice to his brother and not biting him on his little chickenlegs. Lenny doesn't do very well at his chores, unfortunately. Milan's chores involve being sweet and good, which is easy because he wrote the book on Being Good.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2007, 01:17:41 pm »

HEE! That's awesome. Tiny can. Lenny's daily chores include being nice to his brother and not biting him on his little chickenlegs. Lenny doesn't do very well at his chores, unfortunately. Milan's chores involve being sweet and good, which is easy because he wrote the book on Being Good.

Your cat is Nick Hornby?
Logged

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2007, 05:15:32 pm »

Your cat is Nick Hornby?

Can'd because I loved that book.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2007, 11:02:01 pm »

I like the concept, but I feel like Nick Hornby tends to not take ideas "all the way."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2007, 12:01:39 am »

I like the concept, but I feel like Nick Hornby tends to not take ideas "all the way."

I haven't read his books since high school...I'm not saying they're super-deep or anything, but they're fun and competent.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up