Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TERRIBLE!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: To what extent...  (Read 4440 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: To what extent...
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 08:17:35 pm »

Everyone is beautiful in their own way.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: To what extent...
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 10:52:59 pm »

it only colors my perception if I personally know the artist.
IE, my douchebag ex best friend could write the best song ever, and I would still hate it.
Led Zeppelin can beat up groupies or whatever, but their music is still good.
Frank Zappa, on the other hand... the fact that he is a douche who thinks he is smarter and better than everyone shows through in his work. So, I don't like his work.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: To what extent...
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 11:17:51 pm »

Yes, I can seperate my critique completely, except when hearing a Verdi opera I always think of him groping some broad's ass.
Logged
ACHIEVE

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: To what extent...
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007, 12:42:09 am »

Frank Zappa, on the other hand... the fact that he is a douche who thinks he is smarter and better than everyone shows through in his work. So, I don't like his work.

How do you feel about Bach?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: To what extent...
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2007, 03:10:05 am »

um, Bach is good.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: To what extent...
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2007, 03:17:54 am »

um, Bach is good.

He was also quite a dick, lording it over Handel, showing off his fugue improvising skills, pissing on the seat and just generally being a an ass to lesser mortals.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: To what extent...
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2007, 03:38:59 am »

I've put a lot of effort into trying to appreciate Frank Zappa, but I think Dan's comment pretty much nails it on the head.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: To what extent...
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2007, 03:47:01 am »

yeah, but, you can't hear his voice in his pieces. saying "hey, I'm frank zappa. yeahhhhhh."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: To what extent...
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2007, 03:59:12 am »

He was also quite a dick, lording it over Handel, showing off his fugue improvising skills, pissing on the seat and just generally being a an ass to lesser mortals.

Man, Handel should have known he fuged.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: To what extent...
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2007, 04:05:04 am »

I... really like most of Frank Zappa's stuff.

Great guitarist and his lyrics make me feel like everyone in the world is being made fun of except for Zappa and myself.

I can see where that would be grating to people with Certain Comic Sensibilities, however.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: To what extent...
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2007, 04:50:52 am »

Judging Frank Zappa on the strength of his lyrics is kind of like judging Bob Dylan on his singing voice.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: To what extent...
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2007, 04:58:03 am »

but, see, Bob Dylan's singing voice is awesome. I only wish I could sing like him.

Zappa, to me, is just... smarmy. Listening to him makes me feel kind of dirty.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: To what extent...
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2007, 05:49:29 am »

I really enjoyed Michael Moorcock's Elric Saga, but once I read up on him and how much he despised Tolkein, it just wasn't the same, y'know?

So now I guess I've adopted linnea's strategy: Enjoy their work, but don't research'em.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up