Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wine: Keep a red and a white on hand at all times. When choosing wines on the wine aisle, use this simple rhyme to make your selection: “Closer to the floor, is meant for the poor / closer to the lights, is more like for if Bono comes over.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Merry Christmas  (Read 3742 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Merry Christmas
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2007, 12:24:50 pm »

good lord. I had never thought about that issue, the poor guy.

"You don't love me as much as my real dad!"
Little did he know, his real Father had sent him to earth to die for the sins of mankind.

On a serious note-- I have heard it said that God sent Jesus to Earth to die for our sins, and that Jesus is told this before his crucifixion (maybe I'm imagining this part? an angel comes down and tells him, or he has a vision?). However, he also later says "forgive them Father, they know not what they do," right? So is it understood as Jesus deciding to die for mankind, as he loved us so much, or as God sending us his son to die for us, as he loved us so much, or a combination? It was Jesus' destiny but he chose not to reject it? Forgive me if I have not phrased this in the right way, I am not trying to mock, I am actually curious. I need to read The Bible, it is ridiculous that I have not.

A: Christianity includes the idea of the holy trinity so Jesus and his father were really the same entity sharing the same godmind. In catholic school it was phrased as "Jesus was both entirely a human and entirely God".
B: There was a list of pains or something I had to learn at one point that included the pre-knowledge of his own death. It was taught that knowing the date, time, and torturous manner of his own death is a thing we should consider as compounding what he did for us - that not only was he crucified, but he knew thats what he ultimately had coming to him for his whole life prior.

To me, the trinity is one of the trickiest deals to get my mind around, and whenever I asked for a good clarification I was given the default catholic school christology teacher answer: "It is one of the mysteries of faith"
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Merry Christmas
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2007, 04:33:19 pm »

I like the other picture in the set of the sign that says "Joseph of Nazareth - Jesus's Stepfather"

This picture
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Merry Christmas
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2007, 04:40:54 pm »

This picture
I swear to Jough and Jesus that I didnt see that dudes comment before I posted.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Merry Christmas
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2007, 08:32:57 pm »

Oh that's right it's almost Christmas.

Keep it Merry, people.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Merry Christmas
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2007, 03:51:52 am »

I swear to Jough and Jesus that I didnt see that dudes comment before I posted.

Actually that guy was quoting Family Guy.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up