Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: computer crisis  (Read 4663 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
computer crisis
« on: December 26, 2007, 07:47:00 pm »

okay, not really.  i'm able to use it, and the computer part of my hardware seems to work just fine, but during finals week to top off all the sleepless nights and cramming for at tests, i pulled my laptop off its perch with my heel caught in the power cord.  now about a third of my screen is completely blanked out, and so i've squeezed all my browser boxes into a smaller area so i can see the internet, porn, pictures etc.  im afraid to take it to the shop because i'm almost certain they will tell me i need a whole new screen, and the estimates i've read about are at least a couple hundred dollars. 

does anyone know of a good online refurbishment company?  or anything about replacing screens?  or have you had a similar incident?  i think my warranty is up too, but i guess i could mail little buddy back to Dell.  blegh.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: computer crisis
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 08:36:32 pm »

I was once hired by a horrible company in the trucking industry.  It was an archaic place where the idea of sexual equality doesn't exist.  Never mind racial equality - I kept my mixed racial heritage to myself.  We're talking a place where the boss smokes cigars in his office and men talk to the women on staff like their retarded and failures since they aren't married and at home raising children.  So I was a file clerk - typical female job.  When they hired me, something had gone wrong with the usual computer, so the big head of the company from... I don't remember where - somewhere else - let me use his laptop during the day and took it back to the hotel at the end of the day. He presented it to me like I was ... I don't now... unable to process thoughts due to my ovaries?  He was just painfully condescending, but also repeatedly warned me that the laptop was very expensive and I needed to be careful with it, not trip on the cord, etc.  He warned me this way... every hour or so?  Like I was a learning disabled child who's memory span was too short to remember.  It was a horrible place.  The other men called me sweety and made comments about my body... It was horrible.  A few days later, I came back to my desk after some filing, to find the laptop screen destroyed and the keyboard reading the wrong letters.  I was horrified, but some of the other employees assured me that the boss guy had tripped on the cord himself, that they had seen him.  From that point on the boss treated me as though it was somehow my fault that he had smashed his laptop.  I mean he would glare at me and barely speak to me.  After way too long putting up with this (on top of a lot of other garbage I can't be bothered to type out - the other office ladies hated me because unlike them I was well educated and well spoken, and I guess that made me a snob?) another member of the management groped me by grabbing at the skin between my shirt and slacks.  I quit and never went back.

(edit:  I just remembered - for Christmas everyone got a ham or turkey or something as a holiday "bonus" but they didn't give me one, even though the called all of us office "girls" together and handed them out.  They skipped right over me with no explaination, giving a card and meat to the lady on either side of me.)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 08:58:09 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: computer crisis
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 12:03:04 am »

A woman who only comes around when she needs technical support, thats original.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: computer crisis
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 03:47:53 am »

Since we aren't helping, I have a little story. When I graduated from college I returned to Alaska and got the only jobs I could. One of them was at Sam's Club. I eventually was put on the audit crew, where you basically go around and take inventory all the time. The guy who was training me say me down in front of the computer, booted it up, and pointed at the progress bar below the windows logo and said "that's not really moving", as if I thought it was some sort of mechanical device instead of pixels changing colors.

More to the point, my laptop screen went out last work hitch, and I took it to IT and they just pulled a screen off another computer and plugged it into mine and screwed it back together. Obviously I didn't foot the bill so I can't help you there, but the whole being afraid to take it in is somewhat unlikely to fix it. You're going to have to bite the bullet. In PDX, we have lots of little PC fix-it guys. If you have an at all common model, maybe you can find someone who has a screen for it on an otherwise dead laptop.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: computer crisis
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 04:14:06 am »

Try looking on craigslist for the parts you need, dude.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: computer crisis
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 05:01:37 am »

You could always stick on an external monitor, you should be able to pick up an old crt for like 50 bucks if you don't know someone who has one lying around anyway.
Otherwise, it cuold be the monitor is fucked, maybe it's just the connection (this seems vaguely logical to me), you're never really going to know until you take it in to get someone to look at it.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: computer crisis
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 06:31:43 am »

You could always stick on an external monitor, you should be able to pick up an old crt for like 50 bucks if you don't know someone who has one lying around anyway.


I have at least two that I could give you if you want to drive to Shelby County.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: computer crisis
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 04:31:27 pm »

Yes, mine are sitting in my basement.  I'm willing to bet Bea knows someone who has one, or knows someone who works somewhere that has one.  Sort of defeats having a laptop, but excellent short term solution Doc.  Canned.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
Re: computer crisis
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 06:28:58 pm »

"afraid" = "broke"

thanks!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: computer crisis
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 09:25:39 pm »

A woman who only comes around when she needs technical support, thats original.

Hrmph.  Unnecessary sexism directed at a lady who has only been a pleasent presence on the board, who has, as far as I can remember, never asked for help before.  Is that called for? 

The ovary to testicle ratio is so off kilter, please don't drive the ladies away.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: computer crisis
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 07:13:54 pm »

Hrmph.  Unnecessary sexism directed at a lady who has only been a pleasent presence on the board, who has, as far as I can remember, never asked for help before.  Is that called for? 

The ovary to testicle ratio is so off kilter, please don't drive the ladies away.

Word.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: computer crisis
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 06:56:14 am »

Hrmph.  Unnecessary sexism directed at a lady who has only been a pleasent presence on the board, who has, as far as I can remember, never asked for help before.  Is that called for? 

I believe it was Our Lord Jesus who once said, "don't be a dick."
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: computer crisis
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 07:10:29 am »

a few of my female friends are fond of bidding farewell by saying "DBAC!"

(don't be a c**t)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: computer crisis
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2007, 07:32:35 pm »

Do they say " dee-back?"
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: computer crisis
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2007, 09:34:02 pm »

dee bee ay see!

I always say "don't worry, why enn ay bee!" and that gets some laughs from this one girl that I apparently called a bitch like 4 times the first time I met her. I need to get better about knowing what kind of jokes people that don't know me will understand.
On the other hand, she made me hug her to apologize, and that was a really good hug, so maybe she was just being play-upset.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1]   Go Up