Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Man Pat you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Book Lag  (Read 5114 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Book Lag
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2008, 09:56:48 pm »

I initially misread that as "Spice."  Eeeurgh. I do not like the idea of Spice putting bread behind anything.

I do like the idea of Achewood cartoons airing on Spice, and then the meta possibility of Cornelius doing the closed caption for the story about Cornelius laying in bed typing the closed captioning for Spice.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Book Lag
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2008, 09:22:24 pm »

I just can't imagine Onstad's extremely spare art style translating well to animation, and any embellishments (like, oh, I don't know, colors or backgrounds) would take away from some of the appeal in my mind.

It works OK for Kipper.  My son loves cartoons with spare backgrounds (see also: Pocoyo) because he's autistic and (we think) anything with too much going on onscreen distracts him from the "plot."  I think an adult-style cartoon with minimal backdrops would appeal to the Asperger's in all of us. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Book Lag
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2008, 10:34:34 pm »

Kipper looks very calming; visually, it reminds me of Roobarb, which I recall being a big hit of my childhood.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Book Lag
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2008, 06:14:45 pm »

Kipper is great for settling a kid down.  Little P's bedtime routine is a bath, then an hour of Kipper, then a little milk and off to bed. 

It also has the side benefit of teaching Received Pronunciation.  It's so cute to hear a two and a half year old say, "Hello, Kippah!  Ready, steady, go!" 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Book Lag
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2008, 06:20:17 pm »

oh, lord. maybe he'll end up pronouncing random words with a British Accent like my little sister. She has slightly tapered off her unintentional-british-fakery, though, I think.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Book Lag
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2008, 06:23:57 pm »

oh, lord. maybe he'll end up pronouncing random words with a British Accent like my little sister. She has slightly tapered off her unintentional-british-fakery, though, I think.

Dang, the more I hear about her, the less I like her. Ugh.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Book Lag
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2008, 06:29:23 pm »

If he's still doing it when he's in his teens, I'm totally sending him to spend the summer in New Jersey. 

He really only does it when he's actually reciting dialogue from the show.  He can quote Kipper like a geek can quote Monty Python.  It's cute, but a little unnerving. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up